Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2007, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I think low ballers may hurt others to a small percent, but 90%+ of my work is repeat business year after year. I havent really expanded so I havent really looked to take on a whole lot of work at once, but i believe eventually your service quality will win out and you dont need those customers consistantly price shopping to save $5 a week.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My opinion is that there is still a niche for each of us. Look at the fast food guys- theres one (Maybe more) on every corner, they all sell hamburgers, they all are 'cheaper' than the other guy, etc., BUT.... YOU still only eat at one. For what reason do you choose that ONE? Price? maybe. Better food? maybe. Atmosphere, or better people? maybe. Bottom line, there will always be competition, we all work a little different from each other, even though we are all in the same field, and customers will need to choose which one of us to hire and for their own reasons. No one of us "Owns" any of these customers, we need to EARN their respect and their loyalty. Some of these customers will never be loyal, some will be our best customer, its just human nature.
I'm a newbie to lawncare, but I've been on the business side of several businesses including used cars, farm equipment, and ATV's/ Motorcycles (You think the motorcycle/ snowmobile/ ATV industry isnt a ***** market?????? You aint seen anything in lawncare)... ultimately competition will be your best friend or your worst enemy, it is what YOU make it.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didnt realize they would **** my french. The word wh0re comes to mind. It is the only word to describe the feeding frenzy, over crowded dealer world of selling motorcycles/ ATV's and especially snowmobiles!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres the problem as I see it.

A new guy decides he has experience since hes been mowing Grandma's yard since he was 10. He has zero dollars in his pocket to get started, zero knowledge of running a business, zero insurance and no business plan, he's just winging it on a hope and a prayer.

He purchases some Craftman equipment on his Sears account and then decides he's a professional LCO and he's ready to tackle commercial accounts. He goes out and underbids the established LCO's on as many commercial accounts and he can contact driving down prices to the point that the established companies walk away.

Meanwhile the newbie struggles to produce a viable product, realizes he greatly underbid the projects and finds himself unable to make any profit, by June he cuts his losses, sell the business and goes back to slinging burgers. In the meantime the established company is called in to clean up the mess that was cause by those that didn't know what there doing and had no business trying to persue commercial accounts before they were ready.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawns by Steve View Post
This is my first year in this industry, I am starting with a mixture of commercial and residential equipment. I posted what I thought was a good price in another forum and found out that it was too cheap. So I rewrote all my flyers and I'm sure I won't get some accounts do to experience and I' m fine with this but, I will never lowball someone else I will demand what the current market is at. I will upgrade my equipment asap, until then I will beat the streets until I get the number of accounts I want for this season. I'm new and I don't want to see lowballers but, this is part of life.Probably not the response your looking for but, this is my 2cents.

Steve,
I like you buisness plan, seems like your really on the ball and are truly interested in helping promote the industry instead of draging it down. I believe you'll do very well in this business.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED'S LAWNCARE View Post

Here is the hard truth we are just lawn jockeys to people thats it nothing more. Some may be "certified in this or that" but that is just about it. Stop comparing us to plumbers, mechanics, etc... we are not needed like those professions are.

I agree with this assessment, with regard to grass cutting. This has been discussed in another thread about using contracts/service agreements.

Grass cutting is on the low end of the scale, and that is why it is attractive to get entry -- very little skill, and very low cost entry for capital investment. With the trades mentioned above, one just doesn't decide one day to be a plumber, electrician, etc. Training is required and tests must be passed, and certifications obtained. This is not so for grass cutting. Oh yes, maybe a business license is needed, and an insurance policy is needed, but these do not give you any accreditation on capability.

I have read so many threads on LS of those attempting to justify high labor rates because they are a "professional" grass cutter. Say what? Somebody highly trained in a field, an expert in their discipline, possessing certain experience, can lay claim to big money for their work time. But, for grass cutting ....?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

newbee's dont bother me at all. we were all there at one time. if your 10-$15-$25 under me so be it. if you fail by june and the customers comes crawling back to me, ill just assume they wont be trying to find someone cheaper than me again and i can add them to my 90+ % of repeat year after year customers.

low ballers are part of the business. i kind of like it. it keeps the prices at fair market value. i cant charge $100 for a $50 lawn. but i wont charge $25 for it as well. and if i hire a plumber, or a carpenter, ill see the different prices and their experience and probly go in the middle. it jsut keeps things honest. newbees, ill answer your ?'s

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity