Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2007, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

velke on gear drive

I'm sure there are tons of people running this setup, but I just wanted to know how bad it is backing up. Since a gear drive is reverse assist you have to pull it back, which you can't do while on a velke and even when getting off, the velke would be in the way. I want to know what people's experiences are that run a velke on a gear drive w/b.

Any quick insight would be great. I found one on ebay that is local, and I may buy it tomorrow. It has been used 1 season, and he told me he would sell it to me for $100.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2007, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't back up on a velke while riding, hoping that's not what you meant, but I just thought I'd mention that first lol... Actually, you can do it but you better be careful and ready to jump off in a flash if it starts to jackknife, I do it sometimes but more for show and it doesn't gain anything vs. stepping off. Oh, and it tells you NOT to do it in the manual, under warnings.

The best thing to do is ride in such a way you never have to use reverse.

Depending on the velke, some will fold up underneath while others have a stop at the 90 degree mark, either way you step off and hope the reverse assist is all you need but sometimes you have to physically pull the machine as well.

As for unloading, I have Toros w/ T-bars so I don't start the engine until the Wb is off the trailer, for the main reason being control. Once the Wb hits the angled gate, I push forward on the T-bar and without the engine this merely stops the Wb which also pops a wheelie... Were the engine to be running, pushing forward engages the belts (and when the Wb hits the incline it comes towards me so pushing forward is the natural reaction). So then I pull it down slowly and manually steer the Wb w/ velke as if it were the truck and trailer to keep it from jackknifing... Takes time and practice, but I got it to where it usually backs right up and the velke stays in line.

Some have a chain and hook you can hang it up on, but I can't deal with a chain dangling while I'm working so I never hooked that up.

Last edited by topsites; 03-10-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm going to go pick it up today then. $100 for a one year old velke seems to be a pretty good deal to me, but then again I'm new at the game.