Register free!

Old 08-26-2001, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Over a MILLION SQ FT. of Spraying

I am way out of my league on this one but I'll ask anyway?

I was called by a municipality to bid on spraying (weed control)what totals to be 10 areas ranging from 8K to 650K sq ft of weed/grass mix adding to a total of 35 acres. The areas are boulevards, parks and ballparks. The brunt of it are 2 parks one is 465K sq ft and the 650K sq ft both relatively flat but in an urban setting.

I have ideas of my own but have any of you bid on this type of work? Is it more profitable and safer to stay with the small residential apps or the municipal stuff.

The current applicator is a lowballer and is equipped to do this work, however the city knows he does marginal work and would like to change if the numbers come up right.

Would you bid on this and if so how? Would you bid on each of the 10 areas and present it or would you bid on the whole 35 acres? If you want to include numbers for your part of the country please do so.

I am a very small co. (me) and even wonder if I could do this myself. I am licensed and state certified for spraying. I have used Millennium Ultra as well as Dissolve on my properties using an 8' boom sprayer. I can have access to a skid mount 200 gal sprayer if needed.

One last question.
What would be the minumum equipment that you would use?
There isn't really a timeframe to be completed by but I know they would like to start the spraying about 2 weeks into September.

Any insight from your experience would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what they are willing to spend. Generally, the smaller lawns reap the highest profits. You must also consider that you may have to go back for touch-up service calls. YOU MIGHT LOSE A COUPLE OF DAYS WORK SPOT SPRAYING WEEDS ON THIS ONE!
Old 08-27-2001, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I spray 15-20 acres at a time,at least once aseason,but i have a 22 ft boom that opens to 42ft,mounted on a cushman,this makes short work of big areas.I dont think you will be able to compete with the low baller,once you figure out how many man hours it will take,you'll see you'll make a lot more money on little lawns taking much less time.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would jump on it. From what you are saying it sounds like there aren't that many open areas so the 8' boom would likely be enough. I assume that you also have a hand sprayer on your ztr for spot spraying afterwards. I have a sprayer I made for my ZTR with 8' boom, I do properties up to 5 acres and it is no problem. You might even consider making a wider boom to save time.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Small is large

Stick to the cookie cutters. Big jobs are Big jobs unless the profit is right and it sounds like you may have to cut corners just to win the bid. The bottom line is the profit margin.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bottom line is PROFIT, not margin.

I wouldn't want to make 80% of a $10 job.
I'd rather make 8% of a $100,000 job.

IF you've got the right equip and are buying your materials RIGHT, go for it.

Big jobs require big cahonas and sharp pencils.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When all is said and done I will be bidding on aprox 38 total acres of parks, streets and ball fields along with 2 soccer field renovations. Some fertilizing and overseeding is also included. So without getting into all the details the gross will be $7706.00 cut up in three different bids.
I should know if I get any of it later this week. I know that I am on the high side for my area but there is alot of work and therefore alot of profit for doing it. I will let you know what happens. Happy Labor day.