Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Ever considered going to college if you haven't already? I know you'll be more busy than you ever dreamt but if you're unsure that the lawn biz is for you just tough it out and get your degree. This is what I'm doing. I hate corrections. Done it for 16 years but planning on finishing school and getting my degree all the while working full time and mowing on the side. I have kids too, and be busier as heck but will be well worth it in the end. I hope you can find everything you're looking for in life and can get back on your feet.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Elite,

I was also unemployed when I started this gig last year. I moved my family from N.E. Arkansas to N.W. Arkansas to start this company. I advertised at every chance I had. Go to a bank and give them a business plan. Ask them for a line of credit and sink some $$ into some serious advertising. I placed an ad in the newspaper and it payed for itself within a month. I bought 40 accounts to start with at a real good price so this gave me a jump, but more than doubled that number from March-December last year. This year I have signed $77,000 in 12 month contracts from spring advertising and added two guys to my staff. I am not bragging, but just letting you know it can be done, it just takes a little out of the box thinking and hard work. Go into it full speed, but don't bid to get the jobs, bid to make money. There are many people out there willing to pay good money for a quality job.
Think of a creative name also. I get many people that call me because they liked my name. I know other people on this site have my name, but I had no idea at the time. Target the right neighborhoods and you will have success.
As was said before, God works in mysterious ways. I had no clue as to what I was going to do when I got fired from my job, but I had faith and followed His direction. He will definitely bless you if you give Him all the glory.

Best of luck and God Bless.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toss the flyers in the trash and go work for someone else to learn the biz..