Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2000, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry guys, didn't mean to get so carried away!!! You keep doing what your doing, obviously it is making you money and you should continue. I miss the boat sometimes when talk about measuring a yard comes up. If I had been trained this way it may not be so hard for me to understand the advantages, but the boing rate is the going rate regardless of how big or small. The decision has to be made if you want to tackle the job and do you feel that you have the proper equipment to get in and out fast enough to make a buck or two. <p>Homer
Old 03-03-2000, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the input. Lol...Homer take it easy man. You're gonna blow a gasket. 8) As far as the $22.50 service fee goes. You know that fee is just a bunch of bunk! Since I group my accounts so tightly in groups. I'm tempted to not even shut the door on the truck as I drive up the street from account to account. So as far as the $22.50 service fee be needed to account for my drive time, that's just not true. I just use it to help set a minimum price. Instead of calling it a service fee, I should have called it a minimum charge. <p>As far as the efficiency coefficient since the 36 is just about 1.3% slower than the 48. If you do the math, $.75x1.3=$.97. As you can see, I'm in the right ballpark. I think I will charge the extra $.05 just to keep everything congruent. <p>Keith...you were right. The only time we use the 36 is when we have to deal with a gate. As far as yards with rough terrain. I don't take those jobs. <p>I know that I can do a great job of eyeballing a job, and coming up with a price, but one reason why I don't is this. I know we tend to get in, and out of some of these yards before the trailer gate has a chance to settle, but If I do this for 10 years by the way that some of you guys are advocating, I will inevitably under bid some here, and there. I will also over bid some, but the tendency for me would be too be to underbid. If I did underbid by only a dollar on a job here, and there. After only a few years, the lost potential revenue would really add up.<p>I decided to start measuring yards, because it really doesn't take long #1, and #2 it's a very accurate way for me to do business, and make sure that I'm compensated the way that I feel I should be.<p>As far as the 1/4 acre formula goes. I don't take on lawns that big. The people around here don't want to pay what a bigger yard like that is really worth to cut. Besides......I make more money by cutting the small ones. The money is in the coin drop. Every time you cut a different yard, you have a better chance to make more money than a bigger yard that takes the same amount of time in most cases around here.<p>I really do appreciate the feedback Homer, Keith, and Geo. You guys really have me thinking about things that I really need to fine tune.<p>Thank you very much for the ideas, and input.<p>Victor