Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2007, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Big Lawn Install

I just wanted to know what some of you guys would do for a 2 acre lawn installation. I want several different options so I can take several bids to the customer. I will be planting Tall Fescue, probably K-31. I would apply lime first. It is rough graded, but I would like to have my tractor guy come in and loosen and smooth the soil with a combo of a tiller and pulverizer. However, I believe this may be too expensive. Starter Fertilizer would then be put out, followed by seed, and then we would blow straw. What would you guys do?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from the k-31. It is nothing more than a field grass. Go for a true turf type fescue. It will pay dividends when it comes to maintenence, appearance and cutting frequency.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Do your research, The rebel Fescue is very popular around here. I am wondering if you do a lot of landscaping or are you a lawn maintenance guy. The reason for my asking is that you seem to be putting your company at risk by hiring someone else to do the most important part of landscaping... the Ground prep.I am not trying to be a smart@#$ but I would make sure that your tractor guy is on the same page as you. I have a friend that did a similar job and the business owner held him accountable for the lumpy yard and still to this day talks bad about it. Go to Super sod website they have several sods that may be available in your area. Don't bid to low on this one you may encounter some unforseen bumps in the road and see your bottom line diminish.Good Luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply southern, however, the reason that I am going with K-31 is because the customer requested it. I have suggested over the phone a better variety. Turf 66 I am a landscaper and I am also an Assistant Superintendent at my third high end country club. As for research, thats what I went to school for. The sub that I use for grading also went to turf school and runs a high end residential landscaping company. The reason that I posted the question so generally was to get a better response from this website. I just wanted more options, and If I thought that my grader would skim on the job, he would not be working for me.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what you are asking, but it sounds as if you and your grader are both well versed in landscaping and golf course maintenance. Option 1: Hire your friend at a set price for the job and check to see if this type of sod is available on the big rolls and price out the rent on a roller from your sod company( some companies around me rent them out ) This could help on labor cost. Option 2: Rent the Equipment and do the grading yourself Option 3: steal one from the golf course and hire the caddies to help you LOL.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd have to tip the caddies.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a seeding job, or is it a sod job.

for 2 acres like this you should be around 5000.00 complete (ky-31 seed)