Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2007, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As said befor i think the ringing sound is the clutch i know i hear the same thing with my stihl although not as much with my 4stroke or maybe i just havent noticed it. I mostly hear the sound when you just start to throttle up and the head or blade hasnt started spinning yet. After i start trimming i never notice it. My fs80 has done it since day one and still runs 5 yr later and id estimate over a thousand hours of use
Old 03-18-2007, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyTrain View Post
Alright, so i've been reading Lawnsite for quite some time now and am still in a learning process. I recently purchased my equipment, all commercial grade stuff.

My question is this, the weed trimmer and edger both make a very loud metal on metal sound that is something I have never heard in any of my previous residential grade stuff. I've got an FC50 - edger and the FS80r - trimmer. Is this common place? have I done something wrong in the startup/storage/gas mixture? or do I just need to get used to this sound?

For the record, I have started them once. When I picked them up they did all the setup on them in the back, I loaded my truck and was on my way (I was already late for my regular job that morning). I started them last weekend and because of the noice, I didn't run them very long so I don't know if the noise would have gone away or not.

Any advice?
If the noise kinda sounds like a bell or a ching its probably just the clutch lightly engaging at high idle nothing to worry about.Stihl makes great equipment so I doubt if its seerious.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely the clutch. Very normal for Stihl products. It's the way the clutch is designed. It can get louder as the hours are put on the machine. Can be very pronounced on older models. Some people are sensitive to that pitch and it appears loud and annoying. Maybe, that's one reason why Stihl is not my main stay.... When in doubt bring it back to the dealer for them to listen and check out.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotLandscape View Post
does it sound like a bell ringing? clacking sound? If so it is normal the fs80 is a great trimmer we have had some in service for ten years. the noise your hearing is from the muffler not sure what it is but it is normal.
I have the Stihl Fx 100 and the 130 and thay both make that sound like a Bell ringing.Allways have.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanlawnandlandscape View Post
Speaking of Toro trimmers...what are they like? I have heard they arent very good, and i cant seem to find any around here...whats your honest opinion of them compared to echo?
I checked them out. Look like a good, solid piece of Eqiupment, but seem really heavy and expensive.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where do you find them? none of my toro dealers carry them. id like to check them out.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 03-18-2007, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just checkin but make sure youre USING OIL in the gas if its a 2 stroke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otherwise yeah its the common sthil clang clang clang bell-like sound of the clutch when you get the rpms going...and the motors sound like youre riding a dirtbike haha..

i always run at full throttle, cuts better, dosent rip the line off as easy, and its better for the clutch

stabbing at the throttle just tends to beat the grass around anyhow without doing a nice job