Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quite a sight to see...and plain lucky..

Like the rest here I've had the broken triggers and the leaked fuel..and like many here I wasn't thinking like I should have been when I purchased the racks from the large discount retail store.....I had to immediately resort to the bandaid fix using bungy cords to hold everything in place.

Something I guess the rack should have been doing in the first place...after all, that is its primary purpose...

I think back now and wonder why I spent top dollar on my all my tools and equipment...Echo, Stihl, Dixie, etc...but then when it came time to hold the equipment I lost all common sense and purchased the generic brand. It really makes no sense at all.

My best...or I should say WORST incident happened just recently.

I had been doing a few jobs for some of my current customers and I didnt have the best or most efficient equipment in order to perform these tasks. So I had starting pricing some of the stand alone equipment, but then after looking at the price and versitility of the Echo Pro Series and the attachments I decided this was perfect for the jobs I was performing and since these jobs were not being performed on an everyday basis I didnt feel the need for dedicated equipment was neccesary.

I must say I am very pleased with the pro series and the attachments..They work great....

Anyway...one of the attachments I purchased was the power pruner..It does a great job on those tree limbs...If anyone has seen this attachment it looks like a long metal spear with a chain saw on the end...and with its long shaft it fit well between the two brackets on my trailer...as long as I used a bungy to secure it in place...(again...the job of a bracket)

So here I was traveling down one of our major interstates rushing to try and avoid the rush hour traffic which was about to commence...Unfortunately I was a few minutes late and as I approached the the overpass where the highway I was on crosses over another major interstate I hit the traffic jam. Of course I was doing more than I should have been...thinking of tomorrows appointments etc...

In any event ...I had to stop rather abruptly..

What happened next looked like something out of a movie.. I hear this clang to my right....and out of the corner of my eye I see my brand new pruner attachment go shooting past me on the right hand side of my truck (Panic struck)...skipping and sliding across the asphalt past the next two cars in front of me it went...at which point I lost sight of it (relief it must have stopped)..only to regain seeing it as it somehow hit the side of the highway and shot over the railing of the overpass (More Panic). At this point traffic was moving at a snails pace so I was able to pull over close enough to the railing to stop. I exited my vehicle and looked over the railing to see my pruner attachment 40 feet down half in the break down lane and the other half out in the slow lane...Needless to say even at 40 feet I could see substancial damage to the shaft. I can assume since the chain saw end is much heavier...this was the end that took the brunt of the 40 foot fall. I didnt see any cars below that were pulled over, or any that had any damage to them...and I did take a few moments to access the situation.

There wasnt much I could do at that point...If I would have seen someone hurt, or pulled over with there vehicle, I would have driven to the next exit and turned around....but there wasnt, and from the looks of the unit laying down there on the highway..there was not much point at going down to retrieve it. Plus, by the time I would have been able to get off the overpass I was on and back down to the crash site, I'm sure the unit would have been picked up by a motorist. Not worth much more than the scrap value at this point.

I guess bungy cords were not meant to be used as a safe and secure bracketing method either....or as a bandaid to fix a substandard bracket. I haven't gone back to my dealer to purchase a replacement...I'm still just a little bit embarrassed.