Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2007, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Entire App. With Back Pack Sprayer

Is it possible to make entire applications of broadleaf herbicide etc. with a back pack sprayer. Echo has one with an engine to maintain pressure and a pump to keep the chemical mixed for $570. My average lawn will be 12,000-15,000 sq. ft.

Thanks...
Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical if you are treating a large number of lawns? Of course not. With that said, I use a push spreader and a backpack sprayer on lawns ranging from 3k to 35k. I don't treat enough lawns to justify the expense of a permagreen or spray rig. If you are treating lawns day in and day out, using only a backpack would very cumbersome in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Because I have been treating the same lawns for several years now, I do everything with a spot sprayer. No need to cover the whole lawn when you only have a few weeds. As for the echo sprayer, mine has a dual nozzle and works great on the lawn but sucks for spot spraying in select tight areas. I have had better luck with a electric sureflow sprayer over the echo gas sprayer.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out Tractor Supply. They have a great 25gal sprayer that runs on 12V from your truck, ATV, or Riding Mower with Electric Starter. They're about $125 but in my opinion need a much longer hose. For the money, they are a great help on almost any size lawn. The Shurflo pumps can go out and should be replaced with a higher quality marine grade Shurflo with repairable ceremic pumps. A repair kit cost about $12. And a hint, "Most of the time they only have scum buildup on the ceremic spindle and only need to be cleaned in Clorox" Think about it--let the tank and motor stay on your truck. Will work until you move up to the 200gal Lesco tank.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Check out Tractor Supply. They have a great 25gal sprayer that runs on 12V from your truck, ATV, or Riding Mower with Electric Starter. They're about $125 but in my opinion need a much longer hose. For the money, they are a great help on almost any size lawn. The Shurflo pumps can go out and should be replaced with a higher quality marine grade Shurflo with repairable ceremic pumps. A repair kit cost about $12. And a hint, "Most of the time they only have scum buildup on the ceremic spindle and only need to be cleaned in Clorox" Think about it--let the tank and motor stay on your truck. Will work until you move up to the 200gal Lesco tank.
RAlmaroad

I still use a 12V sprayer like the Tractor supply or Northern tool sell for herbicide only spraying, And I have a cab over spray truck. I use a 300 ft 3/8 hose and get good pressure.

BTW they both sell booms that can be mounted on Mowers or ATVs so you are in business much like a Perma green. Add a Lesco Truckster fertilize spreader to that same Mower and you have a knock off Perma green for a fraction of the cost.

PS Do a search here under Ric-A-Green or Stone-A-Green and you might find pictures of this type of set up.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea Ric:
I know about these--I think a lot of these. I'd use one if I did not have my rig. I have several of the Heavy Duty Shurflo Marine Pumps that I'm hooking to a large heavy duty tank and mounting it to my 55gal tank--one for liquid fert/iron and another for post herbicide. Also, I have a lot of trees to spray and looking for a long sprayer extention--sorta hard to find here. I'll check Lesco on a rainy day.
Thanks Roy
Old 03-28-2007, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am glad to here that it works out for you guys. I just drove almost 7 hours through Chicago to go pick this thing up because I got a good deal on it. I paid $463 with taxes plus $50 or so in gas to go and get it.

Here is what I got.
http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?...tegory=SPRAYER

It should get things rolling for me.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
I am glad to here that it works out for you guys. I just drove almost 7 hours through Chicago to go pick this thing up because I got a good deal on it. I paid $463 with taxes plus $50 or so in gas to go and get it.

Here is what I got.
http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?...tegory=SPRAYER

It should get things rolling for me.
Gravely

One thing nice about the Echo sprayer is as you spray the original weight of 42 lb of spray material and 17 lbs of sprayer on your back will decrease by 8.34 lbs for each gallon you spray. I still have to pull the same amount of hose weight when my 25 gallon tank in the truck is empty.

PS I always enjoy listening to a 2 cycle engine run. It would be nice to have one right on my back where I could feel the heat a vibration.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.