Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quickbooks Pro.

I recently set up quickbooks and paid an advisor to help me. She did great but now I have more questions. I searched here and did not see the topic anyway. I plan to go back to the accountant but naturally she is a little busy this time of year.

So here is my question.

If you want to invoice monthly but need to enter the information weekly. What have some of you guys found to work best for you with QB's.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if there's a way to get around entering the information weekly, or are you asking how to enter it so it shows up on the invoice one week at a time?

Taking a stab without fully understanding, I invoice monthly and enter the work weekly. I customized my invoice so that I added a "date serviced" column and just add each week I mow as a seperate item and then put the date beside it. It was pretty easy in the layout designer.

But I have no idea if I answered your question...
2006 Ditch Witch SK350
Stihl Small Engines
1999 Isuzu NPR Diesel

www.precision-lawns.com
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Lawns View Post
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if there's a way to get around entering the information weekly, or are you asking how to enter it so it shows up on the invoice one week at a time?

Taking a stab without fully understanding, I invoice monthly and enter the work weekly. I customized my invoice so that I added a "date serviced" column and just add each week I mow as a seperate item and then put the date beside it. It was pretty easy in the layout designer.

But I have no idea if I answered your question...
That's pretty close actually.

I want to enter the work completed weekly but really don't want to send out the invoice but once per month.

I am wondering if there is a place to enter the work completed information.

I am working on some exciting stuff IMHO but there seems to be a steep learning curve.

Example, say I have a bar code reader and or a smart phone where the guys complete the work orders. This is then sent to quick books. Then monthly I generate the invoices. Just not quite sure how to get there.

Working on a great system with my cell phone company that will intergrate with Quickbooks plus I have a GPS Stamp on my work order logs.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe here a better way of asking the question. Lets say I want to keep a register ( like a bank account ) transaction list and only invoice when the customer once per month.

Or kind of like a credit card statement. Were the transactions are recorded up to a credit limit and I bill once per month.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Read a post I made in another thread about this very topic:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...91#post1666991

Post #11

I outline my procedure, and I think we are trying to do the same thing.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Read a post I made in another thread about this very topic:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...91#post1666991

Post #11

I outline my procedure, and I think we are trying to do the same thing.
Thanks Roger.

I think I found it. You go to the customer and enter a transaction. I will keep working on it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

clip.com Integrates with Quickbooks. Routes, maps, does it all. I actually broke down this year and bought it. You spend 10 minutes at the end of the day entering in data. At the end of the month, press a button, all the invoices print. It's not cheap. It works.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for that too.

I am in the middle of trying to figure how to install an Items list into QB.

I mean all of our estimates are based upon parts cost. Most of us just grab figures out of our hat based upon experiance. I am looking at trying to take an excel spread sheet and import it in to QB's. A little steep learning curve but managing cost accurately is the key to be profitable and not.

QB's is a really powerful account tool that allows the user to write estimates and provide tools that would be useful to any contractor and service professional.

If I am using Raincad or Drafix those too want a price data base. There has to be an easy way to organize them and import them. I know they can be imported just that first time is a PITA.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody use quick books to track job cost and pay bonus or commisions based upon net profits?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Statement charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Maybe here a better way of asking the question. Lets say I want to keep a register ( like a bank account ) transaction list and only invoice when the customer once per month.

Or kind of like a credit card statement. Were the transactions are recorded up to a credit limit and I bill once per month.
Look at using statement charges. If you have your items set up, you enter charges as a statement charge, then at the end of the month, or whenever you want to send a bill, you print statements for the customer. It shows beginning balance and all activity.

That is what I used (for mostly mowing) and it seemed to work fine.