Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc50292 View Post
Thus far, I've still not bought a trimmer rack. I've heard one LCO owner after another complain about the one that they did buy, one actually talking me out of buying as I was about to purchase it. Up to now, I've been keeping my trimmers "bungi-corded down" on my 36" mower, but it bends the guard to do it that way. I was supposed to buy a trimmer rack this week, but I simply haven't gotten out to do it. I'd love for you to save me the trouble!
Here's a story though: I pull an enclosed trailer and my sons often help me. Well, closing the side door is not something I even think about anymore, I just know it's always done...except this day. My oldest son had simply set the trimmer inside of the side door of the trailer. We went around a corner and got onto the Evangeline Thruway when I hear this honking beside me. I look over, and a lady in a truck is waving at me and pointing at the back of her truck and at my trailer. We pull over and she tells me what happened as she reaches into the back of her truck and pulls my trimmer out. The turning lanes are right next to each other...two lines of cars at a time. She was next to me and as we got all the way into the turn, the side door of my trailer opened and the trimmer slid out. The rear end of the trimmer hit the pavement and because it was dropping hard and fast the front of the trimmer was rotating up and over. As the trimmer hit the pavement it bounced back up and somehow the momentum caused it to ride the side of her truck and it ended up in the back of her truck. She was very good-natured about it...it didn't do any noticeable damage to the side of her truck and my boys now double check the latches every time. My oldest son did ask me why I don't have a trimmer rack yet...dad didn't have a good answer for that one.
Congratulations, you have been selected to win one of our extreme series racks.

It is very fortunate and amazing that the trimmer didn't fly into someones windshield, causing serious damage. With our Xtreme Series rack it will be impossible for the trimmer to fly out. It doesn't even matter if the rack is locked or unlocked either as the quick release thumb levers will hold the trimmer in place.

Please email me shipping information and be sure to include your telephone number.

Thank you for the story,

Matt
matt@trailerracks.com
1-800-621-6919
Old 03-29-2007, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

trimmer racks

how do you know if you have won a trimmer rack do you send an e mail or just post it to this forum
Old 03-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1 View Post
how do you know if you have won a trimmer rack do you send an e mail or just post it to this forum
We post everytime we give one away. If they don't respond to us then we send them a private message.
matt@trailerracks.com
1-800-621-6919
Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, being that I started up last year, money has been tight. I started looking at racks and I could not believe the cost of some of them. I mean, they just hold a trimmer, RIGHT???? Well, being that I new I needed racks, yet could not afford to buy any, not even cheap ones from Ebay or anywhere else, I decided that while I was building a ramp for my trailer, I would make my own.

I felt like my design was simple and would do the job. I pull an enclosed trailer, so I was not concerned about theft, just a place to keep the trimmers off the floor and on the wall where they belong. So, i measured and cut angle iron, welded them into a nice rack. I used 2" wide flat bar, heated it up and bent a U in them and welded them to the Angle Iron. I rigured if the U was deep enough, the trimmers would not be able to bounce out over the top of the U. So the U brackets are about 5" deep. Well, I have misjudged the effect some of our roads and Railroad crossings have on being able to move equipment in my trailer.

I was heading to a customers property one day and took a railroad track crossing a little to fast (it caught me by surprise) and I knew that everything in the trailer had shifted from the bouncing. What I did not know, was that both trimmers and my edger came out of the rack in some form or fashion. The Edger (was on the bottom) and the middle trimmer both came completely out of the rack. The top trimmer, only the engine end came out. I was surpised that the mower did not crush them, and when I saw the head fo the top trimmer still in the rack and the angle of the shaft, I just new it was going to be bad.

I was lucky that I did not have any major damage to any of the equipment. I did have to make adjustments to the trigger housing on one trimmer and reposition the engine on another because it has turned about 30deg around the shaft when it fell.

It would be nice to get a "REALLY GOOD" set of racks to protect my equipment, especially since as of tomorrow, I am going full time in my business. I feel money will be a little tight for a while and I cannot afford to be replacing equipment due to substandard storage racks.

Serving the Greater Savannah Area
www.tlc-lawncare.com
Old 03-29-2007, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I got my free trimmer rack in the mail. The design is awesome. These are the most secure trimmer racks on the market. I'm bolting it on this weekend. Thanks again Matt.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone else tried these racks out?

Thanks for all the reviews so far.. I'm trying to decide on a set of racks for my box truck now.

My main concern is sturdiness and how securely they grip the trimmer/edgers.
Also it's nice to have quick, easy access on and off especially when summer hits (feels like we skipped spring here lately) and we are working wide open.

Since I purchased this truck last year I have had my trimmers and edgers hanging on these hooks on the wall in the picture below..

Luckily I have never had any fall out during transport (knock on wood)
They do exactly what I need and very quick on/off with no locks or bungees.

That being said there is a chance that these will fall out one day, and I just got a bigger mower so I could use the extra floor space.

So far from what I have read here these are nice quality racks.. user reviews are important for all my purchases.. especially online purchases.

I look forward to reading more reviews here on lawnsite to help me make a decision.. I will be purchasing a set of racks, just unsure which ones yet.

Btw.. anyone have this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2165&rd=1&rd=1
Old 03-31-2007, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

My trimmer is the one item in my enclosed trailer that I had purchased a rack for at one of the big box hardware stores last summer. It seemed to be working fine until one day in late fall. I unloaded my mower and was doing fall cleanup for one of my customers. This customer in particular is one of my most demanding and expects perfection when it comes to the outside appearance of his home. I had just completed the backyard and was proceeding to the front when I saw my trailer dripping an unknown liquid onto his newly blacktopped driveway. Upon investigation I discovered that the trimmer head had let loose from the rack bracket and landed on my unsecured 5 gallon topped off gas container, causing it to tip over and spill all twelve dollars of gas into my trailer and onto his new blacktop. Being that gas and blacktop do not mix well, I ended up paying dearly to have his driveway resurfaced. In the end I was able to keep him as a customer, but I vowed that day never to buy poor quality equipment again.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I started 2 years ago with a S-10 Blazer, a 5 X 8 trailer with 1/4 to 1/2" rails (never did measure them) that I got for $450, then put tires on it. I never got trimmer racks because I didn't want to ruin them by having them welded on. I put the trimmer in the back of the Blazer. Last year I got my truck, 89 GMC w/ 6.5' bed, bungied the trimmer to the inside of the truck. Both were a PITA. This year I spent $800 on a new trimmer and BP blower and $950 on a new trailer. I also got a tool box for the truck so putting the trimmer in the truck won't work. I am looking at TT for racks but have never seen one up close. I NEED to get a trimmer rack because I don't want to tell any "horor" stories like the ones in this thread. These racks look great.

Darrin A.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Ya, you guys with the enclosed trailers need to watch that door. I was making a left turn a busy intersection and I saw a Stihl back pack blower tumbling in my rear view mirror as I made the turn. Then I saw my side door swinging and about crapped in my pants. I stopped my rig right there and ran back to get my newly bought Stihl BR420 blower laying there. It had a few scratches, but it was a Stihl and lasted for years after. Rule number one, spend the extra $$$ and buy things of good quality. Rule number 2, ALWAYS make sure the side door is closed. Later in life I went to an open trailer and used the standard C channel type rack. But all the bouncing around the trimmers do, the C channel leaves a big grove in my expensive trimmers. There is just way to much room for the trimmer to move around. Well I bought a new enclosed trailer this weekend, its a Haulmark like my last one. I still use nothing but Stihl equiptment, its the brand I will use till the day I die. I always thought all trimmer racks were the same but this one looks ALOT better than the rest. I think it would be a great addition to my enclosed trailer. I never thought of putting an actual rack in it until today. The standard C channel type wasn't going to make its way into my new set-up.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Got my rack on Thursday and got them installed. They are awesome. I have a couple very very small suggestions but there is defiantly nothing out there that is better.

Matt I got your message I just have not had time to call you yet.
2007 Load Trail Dump Trailer
2007 Load Trail 18' 14000' Equipment Trailer
Big Tex 16' Trailer
---Removable 3' sides Trailer
2006 Walker GHS26EFI
Honda HRC216 Mower
2 Echo 210 String Trimmer
Echo HC 2000 Hedge Trimmer
2 Echo PB610 Blower
310 Stihl Chainsaw
170 Stihl Chainsaw
Solo Backpack Sprayers