Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2000, 01:06 PM

Hello Nick:<p>Do what you want, just start out at a easy pace! It's not rocket science, just go at a slow & easy pace. I know you want work, just like everybody else. But don't bite off more than you can chew.<p>Do yourself a big favor if you want to be in business first get licensed & insured. Unless you don't have anything. This will cover your butt, we live in a sue happy world.<p>Take that $200 or so bucks & instead of paying a cpa now, but do it later. <p>Do this buy magnetic signs & a measuring wheel. If your lucky you might have $40 or so left, if you do, have some nice fliers made. Target the area you want to work in.<p>Try to find out what the going rate is in your area, hopefully it will be $30 & up a hour. Measure everything you do & keep records of it after twenty or so lawns you will have a good idea how long it takes you to mow a certain amount of sq. feet & how long it takes to edge a 100 feet. Then make you a quick referance chart. Keep records of every lawn you do. It's part of the job, it will help you later down the road!<p>When you go over to give a bid, it will look like you know what you are doing. Look like a pro, act like a pro, work like a pro & you will get paid like a PRO!<p>Carry a log book & record how long it takes you to do the job, what you did at the job. Make shure you date it & use it everytime. <p>I don't mean every little thing you do. Just put it took 1.5 hours to mow,edge,trim grass & blow at Mrs. Williams 3:00-4:30 & date. <p>Remember when you went over to her yard to give bid, you already measured everything. In the ledger books out there just make it like one line across chart per job.<p>Keep records of your expenses & seperate all cost. Thats right keep gas seperate for mower, truck & 2 cycles. In just a few short weeks you will have a idea what it cost you to do business. Keep figuring this because as time goes on it will change. Keep close eye on this.<p>Take about 20% or whatever you decide of what you make & put it in savings account for your taxes. Don't touch it & hopfully you will have a little left over at end of year.<p>Live on as small amount of income as you can, wait till you been in business a while before you start paying yourself a lot more.<p>You decide to hire someone get workers comp. on them unless you don't own anything, yes again we live in a sue happy world.<p>That indepent contractor crap that you hear sounds fine & dandy. It's almost impossible to work someone as a independent contractor. <p>Don't believe me go to IRS site or personally go to their office. Its almost impossible to follow their guide lines. <p>It's destroyed a lot of good people. You should be able to get a sheet of their guidelines. Only do this before you decide to hire someone.<p>In less than a years time you will know a lot. Then move on to bigger & better things.<p>If you come to this forum regular & keep up with it for a few months, you will be YARDS AHEAD OF THE COMPETITION! Thats a fact!<p>This is just my ideas & thats all I know!<br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 03-01-2000, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Nick,<br> I agree with Grassmaster.I started the same way you are.I did a few family and friends at first just to get my feet wet and to see if this was something I really wanted to do.The money can be great if you do it right.I wish I had help like we have here now.I would be rich now.Listen to these guys.They have been around a long time and been through the hard times.The main thing is Get Some Insurance now before you make the first cut.Get your local and state business license.Asvertise in the local paper. Offer a free cut or discounts for each referal that signs up.They like that.If you are doing this on the side don't overload yourself.It is very easy to do when you see that almighty dollar.Remember a happy customer is a repeat customer and one that will get you more business.I have gotten more business by word of mouth than by running ads.Subscribe to Pro Magazine also.It is very informative as well as this forum.Good luck.<p>----------<br>Custom Cut Lawns LLC<br>mowmoney@juno.com<br>