Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Liquidfast's Avatar
Liquidfast Liquidfast is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny H View Post
Ha, thanks guys! I am new to this but I'm not a dumb @$$ either. I sat down, calculated cost of material and labor, gave him the price and he stepped back and said "woah, wait a minute". I was confident with my estimate and I did exactly what Liquidfast said I told him to call the "other guy". He also wanted about 780 square feet of grass removed so he can put stone around his pool and I quoted him at $240 for that and he said "the other guy" gave him an estimate of $150 and another guy gave him a price at $175. But then the shmuck tells me and he really wants ME to do it and he wants to know what i can do about the price. This was all on friday. He called me 2 times since then asking me what the deal was. I told him I already told him my price and thats that. He said he'll give me a call tomorrow. He also wants me to do his lawn but I can just tell that this guy has been through quite a few different "guys" taking care of his yard just by the BS he's putting me through already.


I was just wondering if I was really far off on my estimate. I dont think I was and I still dont think I was even after really thinking about it.




Since u r new, here is some quick free advice. If you do cut him, lets say you start april 15, make sure you bill him now for the april 15th date. That way, if he chumps out, you will know in advance. In the past, I have dealt with slow payers. The following year, I did just what I said and I can tell you that people are less llikely to jump ship when they have paid for the month in advance. I can also tell you that 90% of my customers are a month in advance and no questions asked.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Eakern & Dog's Avatar
Eakern & Dog Eakern & Dog is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: greater Atlanta
Posts: 433
Quote:
Kinda of a noobie question but I think this guy is trying to rip me off big time. He has about 28,000 square feet of lawn that he wants reseeded and fertalized. From my local vendor I'm getting my seed and fertalizer from, which is a nursery, I can get enough seed for approximately $70 and enough fertalizer for about $65. This guy is telling me he has had other guys fertalize and seed his lawn for $80-$100. I'm just wondering if this guy is for real or if I'm just paying way too much for seed. I usually charge my customers the price of material and $40/hour that it would take me. I told him about $175 for everything and he told me I was way off. And yes, this if my first year getting into the seeding and fertalizing. I used to just mow and thats it,
Thanks in advanced
You need to walk away from this guy asap. I'm not sure of the rates where you are, but you are way under priced for 28,000 sq feet. I would tell him that after you re-worked his estimate that you discovered an error in that you under estimated and will have to add another $130.00 to the original estimated price
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-09-2007, 10:59 AM
David C. David C. is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny H View Post
Kinda of a noobie question but I think this guy is trying to rip me off big time. He has about 28,000 square feet of lawn that he wants reseeded and fertalized. From my local vendor I'm getting my seed and fertalizer from, which is a nursery, I can get enough seed for approximately $70 and enough fertalizer for about $65. This guy is telling me he has had other guys fertalize and seed his lawn for $80-$100. I'm just wondering if this guy is for real or if I'm just paying way too much for seed. I usually charge my customers the price of material and $40/hour that it would take me. I told him about $175 for everything and he told me I was way off. And yes, this if my first year getting into the seeding and fertalizing. I used to just mow and thats it,
Thanks in advanced
Hang in there with your price!!!! The customer sounds to me like he's gettin' "practiced up" for his annual vacation to Tahati, Mexico----"No can pay you that price!!! You come-zee down-ee and we talk-ee talk-ee!!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
bigmudder77's Avatar
bigmudder77 bigmudder77 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wooster ohio
Posts: 297
well do this stake out his house and when the (OTHER GUY) come call the cops and report his ass and tape him too. comes in good in the court. he needs to have some kinda training/licenses to do that for other people. with out it you can run in to BIG troble and pay LOTS OF MONEY and jail time or thats how it is here in ohio. i have looked it up trust me if he is doing it for $100 2 things could be happing

1. he could be stealing the stuff

2. he has no training on this and is just doing it to make a couple bucks

but any way my thought is find out who he is and turn him in. good luck with that
__________________
2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4

1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4 (ex plow truck needs tranny work)

1998 dodge ram 2500 ext cab needs all new lines (soon to be the new plow truck)

curtis plow 7 1/2ft 4 years old

1995 7ft X 16ft trailer

woods diesel zero turn 5ft mowing deck (60 inch) 6-7 years old

and a whole lot more ill up date later
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM
maxkicker maxkicker is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: jessup maryland
Posts: 121
i think his time could be better spent than turning lowballers in

but for the record THERE IS NO OTHER GUY!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:09 PM
HOOLIE's Avatar
HOOLIE HOOLIE is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmudder77 View Post
well do this stake out his house and when the (OTHER GUY) come call the cops and report his ass and tape him too. comes in good in the court. he needs to have some kinda training/licenses to do that for other people. with out it you can run in to BIG troble and pay LOTS OF MONEY and jail time or thats how it is here in ohio. i have looked it up trust me if he is doing it for $100 2 things could be happing

1. he could be stealing the stuff

2. he has no training on this and is just doing it to make a couple bucks

but any way my thought is find out who he is and turn him in. good luck with that
WOW...jail time in Ohio for seeding and ferting??? I bet shoplifting fetches the death penalty
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 PM
lawnman_scott lawnman_scott is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: st pete, FL
Posts: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny H View Post
But then the shmuck tells me and he really wants ME to do it and he wants to know what i can do about the price.
Why does he want YOU to do it? I think its because he either cant find anyone or they are more than you are. My experience tells me to either let this one go or get advance payment.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-10-2007, 10:20 PM
jerryo jerryo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: nj
Posts: 18
I learned to price by square ft. for seed 18 cents a square, and sod 65 cents
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-10-2007, 10:31 PM
mattfromNY mattfromNY is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central NY
Posts: 1,580
Moneys' GOOOOD in Jersey!
Jerryo- you're gonna get 5k to seed an acre? WOW!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 PM
mattfromNY mattfromNY is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central NY
Posts: 1,580
Actually, my math is wrong, forgive me.
Its been a long day.....
$72.00/ acre.
Sounds more realistic.
My fingers were punching in the numbers quicker than I could comprehend dollars and cents. I guess I better not try to do any billing tonight! LOL
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.11169 seconds with 9 queries