Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

exmark navigator or walker mower

Anybody used the exmark navigator vs a walker mower? How would you compare them? Need help on choosing which one to purchase.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never used the exmark, but to me it is a Walker wanna be, IMO. I have used Walkers at the other LCO's I worked for, and I swear by them. If you do get a new one, get the 26 hp efi MTGHS with the 10.5" big blower upgrade. You wont go wrong. I used one last year and cut a lawn that was about a foot tall and wet, I cut it down to 3 inches and the mower did not clog. Granted I had to go slow, but only had to cut it once. I wouldnt buy nothing but Walker. Go demo either and make the choice from there
Old 04-11-2007, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own walkers, everyone that I know in the industry has walkers... That being said, I know two people who have tried the exmarks, one just demo'd it for a couple of weeks, the other actually bought one. They both said that the suction and ability for it to pick up wet grass was amazing compared to the standard walker. But, now walker has a bigger blower motor available that is supposed to rival that and I will try to see if anyone has tried it out. Rumor has it that the same team of engineers that designed the walkers are the ones who went to exmark and designed the navigator, basically as a walker with all the changes they felt that a walker needed to be a better mower. I have also heard that because of that you should be able to interchange decks and attachments between both machines with no problems, But I'll double check to make sure. The only complaint that I have heard about the exmark is that the controls are kinda touchy, but that is also from guys who have been used to running the same walker machines for the last 10 years, so I have to take it with a grain of salt. If you are interested in speaking with either of these guys, let me know, I can PM their phone numbers for any other questions you might have. =o)
Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceLandscape View Post
I own walkers, everyone that I know in the industry has walkers... That being said, I know two people who have tried the exmarks, one just demo'd it for a couple of weeks, the other actually bought one. They both said that the suction and ability for it to pick up wet grass was amazing compared to the standard walker. But, now walker has a bigger blower motor available that is supposed to rival that and I will try to see if anyone has tried it out. Rumor has it that the same team of engineers that designed the walkers are the ones who went to exmark and designed the navigator, basically as a walker with all the changes they felt that a walker needed to be a better mower. I have also heard that because of that you should be able to interchange decks and attachments between both machines with no problems, But I'll double check to make sure. The only complaint that I have heard about the exmark is that the controls are kinda touchy, but that is also from guys who have been used to running the same walker machines for the last 10 years, so I have to take it with a grain of salt. If you are interested in speaking with either of these guys, let me know, I can PM their phone numbers for any other questions you might have. =o)
Thanks for the info!! Any other info would be helpful
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm picking one up next week

Do a search for "Navigator" there's a post with tons of comparison pictures. We've decided on the navigator, after all i've read and seen. I think there just better built! Even though were in Walker's home state.
Genesis 2:15
Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=walker+ghs

Here is a great post for you which I contributed as much as I could to answer questions and squash the urban legends about the Navigator.

Great machine. No major problems, or minor problems for that matter.

Sales continue to grow, and many of them are guys who own/owned walker that wanted something that was as good, but better in ways. This is it.

Only downside is they don't offer all the attatchments and deck options Walker does, because that is ALL walker does. Exmark offers a couple models to compete with the main models that walker sells, which is the MT tractor with GHS system and the 42 and 48 collection decks.

Hope this helps. I can answer just about anything you need to know.

FYI to add to the other post as far as how guys say the frames don't break/bend, had a machine in the shop this week. Bought last year. 350 hours on it and he said the bag door won't close all the way. Had it tight shut with a ratchet strap. Well he was right. It didn't. I also noticed the front right caster wheel wasn't touching the ground on pavent and no matter how you adjusted the controls, it wouldn't track straight.

FRAME WAS TWISTED!!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

could that frame have gotten twisted from ractcheting the machine down on the trailer too tight, in an uneven manner? when i strap mine down i make sure to try and keep equal tension on it. just wondering if it's even possible to damage one that way.

also, walker now makes a 52" ghs deck. it's still in it's testing phase but should be available very soon.

42" Walker, 24.5 LC Kubota Gas
60" Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI with Ultra Vac
redmax bcz3000
redmax 7001
Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Tallimeca!

Sorry, I could not remember who put all the great photos and info together. It was a big help in our decision. what's your take on the Nav's mulch kit?
Genesis 2:15
Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheslawncare View Post
Anybody used the exmark navigator vs a walker mower? How would you compare them? Need help on choosing which one to purchase.
Well, I generally do not get involved in this discussion because I respect both machines and run neither.

But you're a fellow Tarheel and a new member.
So I will say what I did 3 years ago when I saw the Navigator for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
I've said from the start that eXmark "built a better Walker" from the first time I saw it.

No disrespect meant towards Walker at all though.
... and that's the truth as far as I see it.

Go to this link that Tallimeca provided.
Don't even read it... just look at all the pictures...

A lot less confusing than reading the whole thread.

Bottom line, if you want a Walker style machine, I think eXmark has the better one.
If you want a Walker style machine and all the attachments, get a Walker...
(or consider a different style... the Grasshopper)

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"