Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2001, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Robert,
Hang in there and get your hands dirty. You can read all day about fixing something but never know anything until you tear into something. What have you lost if you mess up? Your Dad can put it back if you can't. It's not like your trashing a $2000.00 engine. I started with a service manual and some rusty tools in a converted chicken coop that I cleaned up and put a table in. I remember the first engine I worked on. It was a old Cast iron engine from about the 40's. Rusted up tight. I spent hours soaking the engine in Diesel fuel and wacking the piston to loosen it up. I learned a lot from that tear down. No, I never got it running but it was my start. I was 13 at the time. Your way ahead of me in knowlege. I would say buy a manual and keep asking questions here.
Old 09-18-2001, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

actually.......

we had to tear apart the 7 horse engine on my rider, that was a lot of fun. but we had one problem. when we put it together, we got the throttle linkage mixed up with the choke linkage! it would only run on choke when we did that. we finally fixed the problem after a while. its funny, my grandfather did that too!i have A LOT of spare parts from my old neighbors lawnmowers, which they gave me and my dad. we got three mowers one with a 3.75 horse briggs,one with a 3 or 3.5 horse briggs, and a self-proppeled mower with a 3.5 or 4.0 horse briggs. [we only buy mowers with briggs engines]. one had the rod knocking against the crankcase, so we trashed the engine block and kept the outer parts. we have a total of 2 push mowers, one rider, and one edger. :blob3:

Last edited by Robert Doubrava; 09-18-2001 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, best way to learn is "hands on" combined with reading up on the subject IMO. Small engine course, if you can take one, is also a good idea.

Mistakes happen, like you mentioned in your recent post, but that's how you learn! As khouse said, hang in there & get your hands dirty! Nice to see someone taking an interest in mechanical things - so many people I know these days don't.

Hey Guido - I'm a "1968" model myself - does that mean I belong in a museum too???? (J/K)