Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2001, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How fast with a micromultch

I would like to know how fast one can expect to mow with a micromultch system. I would love a great multching mower, but do not want to sacrifice much speed to do it. I saw a fella mowing some pretty think grass with an exmark, and he was not dischargeing, but the guy was walking so slow, don't know if he is lazy, or if he needs to mow in 2 with a walk behind to multch properly. Where I live the grass gets pretty tall, and pretty thick, so any help is appreciated. My question is not limited to walkbehinds, any thoughts on a rider speed multching would be great as well.

Thanks
Jay
Old 09-23-2001, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you mulch anything with any machine you need to do it before the grass gets too tall. Mulching is something to be done on regularly maintained yards where your only taking a little off the top. You would have to slow down if your trying to mulch 2 inches of new growth with any machine. I have a friend that just put a mulching kit on his Lazer and he backs up my statement. Too tall and you really have to slow down.
Old 09-23-2001, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I run only mulching kits during cutting season. Some lawns I can cut wide open and some I need to slow down. Growth plays a main part. If I cut something every 7 days and its dry, then no problem. Run at whatever speed I feel like. Keeping the blades sharp also is a big plus for cut quality and speed. Type of grass makes a difference also. Several inches of fescue is nothing. Several inches of bermuda or zoysia can slow you down.