Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2001, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1994 Bobcat 36" w/b good or bad ?

I have been needing a 36" w/b for a while now...seing that I have 48",52",61" its time for small one for gated areas..I will be using it daily. The guy has said that he wants 700 bucks for a 94 bobcat 36" gear drive w/b Do you guys think its worth the money it sounds good to me and its within my budget for a used mower...(500-1000) I havent found out the exact amount of hours but it seems to be a moderate amount I know these types of machines have a end life of around 3,500 including a rebuild somewere around there. He said the carb has been replaced does that mean that it has had signs of alot of bad fuel, abuse ? or is that something that just goes bad after a while ? I have never had carb problems of 4-stroke equipment. Any help and PROS or CONS about this year model...if anyone owns this perticular year model please let me know how you feel about it. I havent seen this mower yet.
Old 09-24-2001, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most used belt drives will run between the $700-1200 range here.

If the machine looks halfway decent I would look into it seriously if its in your price range. Just make sure that you look at things like the spindles and belts. See what has been "engineered" or rigged to keep it running. Ask to see if they have a maintenance schedule for the machine. If they do, odds are good that it was maintained decently, if not - odds are against you.

For what its worth a friend of mine bought a 48" snapper years ago and welded the deck back into shape and fixed some other trivial items with the machine. He bought it for $1200 and more than halfway thru the second season he cleaned it up, painted it, and sold it for $1500.

Good Luck!
Kris
Old 09-25-2001, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there anyway to check for how parts are holding up like the spindles ? I know how to check belts.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:40 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
If you are going to use the machine every day buy new.

Toro markets a 32" metro with a T-Bar and a 10.5 B&S I/C as a price leader.

Go to your Toro distributer and buy it direct. You will not put enough hours on a little machine to warrent a better engine nor
should it need any warrenty work during the warrenty period.

Buy distributer direct. If they balk tell them you do parks and sports fields and might purchase a 580-D in the future.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much would it be through the distributor ? I can get the Exmark 36" metro with like a 12 hp kohler for 1,900 new is the toro better priced ?
Old 09-25-2001, 09:27 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
If you want pistol grips Exmark makes a 32" with a 10.5 B & S as a price leader also.

Call the exmark and toro distributer directly and get a quote.

IMHO $1500 would be a good out the door in a crate COD price.

If you a buying a gate mower you want a 32" not a 36".

Get the Briggs engine for they either run with no problems or throw a rod. There is no middle ground. Again you will not put enough hours on this machine to make it pay to buy a 12 HP kaw or kohler. Plus 12hp Kaws sometimes need expensive parts.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the best way to find a distributor for those two companys ? do I just show right up and buy it there or do they make you order them in advance.