Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2001, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

In The Market

I NEED TO BUY A NEW BLOWER AND HEDGE TRIMMERS WHAT DO YOU GUY LIKE ECHO, STIHL OR ???????, REDMAX

IN NEED OF HELP
THANKS FELLOWS
Old 09-24-2001, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

go stihl

i use stihl blowers and hedgetrimmers, most of the blowers are the same it comes down to preference, weight and rembmer filling the gas tank (echo is very hard). the hedgetrimmers i went with a stihl homeowner. i know that these werent made for commercial use but they will hold up fine and they are more cc for a lower price.the biggest thing was that the homeowner stihl (stihl was best price near me) was the lightest and the commercial was 4 lbs heavier and about $150 more i paid 279 for a 24in stihl. a good trimmer is tanaka. i know a guy who has 4 and the weight distribution on them is great and they are powerful. they hold up well too hes had one pair for about 10 yrs i think and he does alot of bush work and he is known well for him good luck with your decsion but hold the trimmer and blower for a while in the store and she which is more comfortable for you.
Old 09-24-2001, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both Stihl and Echo tools, so have some experience. My dealer sells both, and I talk to the mechanics quite a bit soooo... The mechanics all say go Echo. They feel they are better made, will last longer, and are easier to fix, and thus cheaper if they need repaired. The comparible echo trimmers have less power then the Stihl, so you have a sacrifice. I like both trimmers myself. As far as blowers go, I like my Echo 601 with a cage to protect the blower much better then my BR 400. I think the echo is stronger built, and more powerful. Both are the same price for me. There are certain things on the BR that are flimsy, like the choke button that falls off every other week, or the springs that break off every month. The new Echo blower, 650 I believe is a monster blower, but I fear that it will not hold up as well as the 601 with the cage. I know people love redmax, and I have some bush trimmers that are fantastic. Lots of power, but they occasionally eat my leg. OUCH! I think you will be ok with any of these tools.
Jay
Old 09-24-2001, 10:21 PM
Banned

For lower end price wise: echo

For mid range price wise / pretty good performance: stihl

For high price / high quality / high durability / high power: redmax or shindiawa, you said redmax, so redmax
Old 09-24-2001, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with Redmax. I switched to a Redmax trimmer last year and have had zero problems. My EB7000 back pack blower is the most
powerful back pack I've ever used. ED
Old 09-24-2001, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I switched over to all remax products a couple of years ago from all echos! What a diffrence in power and comfort! quality wise though....there both great!
Old 09-24-2001, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Red max also in my opinion, Blowers and hedge trimmers No problems with either. I would have to say pay a little bit more and get the good stuff.
Old 09-25-2001, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

RED MAX I still have a few Echo's left but will be gone soon.

LGF:blob1:
Old 09-25-2001, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My RedMax back packs and old Green Machines seem to last forever. BUT, I bought a Stihl xx*% hand held blower this spring for fert cleanup and I'd be hard pressed to buy a back pack again.

I've owned Stihl and Echo chainsaws but prefer Stihl as do most of the tree services around here.

I run Echo 2501 string trimmers and they have been super good.

I gotta go to 2 different dealers for this stuff and will keep buying what suits and whats best, not by exclusive brand.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i got a craftsman out there somewhere ,if i can find all the pieces. man ill let that thang go right.