Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2001, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How quick ?

I was wondering how quick a 16hp twin cylinder Leaf vac (tail gate mount ) how quick will the leaf vac suck up a pile of leafs lets say.... 5 feet high 10 feet long bout 5-6 feet wide.? Because I was wondering how quickly it can suck that pile up compared to putting them on a tarp and haulin them off. I can do the same pile noted above in about 35-40 min and I know I can fit more in the trailer though with the leaf vac since it shreds them. All the leafs I haul are dry or farely dry .
Old 09-24-2001, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 guy 15 minutes, 20 tops,real dry maybe 10 minutes. I have lesco 16 hp loader
Old 09-24-2001, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

its definately much quicker than loading them with a tarp. it will also reduce your volume of leaves. prolly woud take 10-15 min.
Old 09-24-2001, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The main thing to remember is that if you have multiple employees with you while performing your fall clean-ups its actually much faster IMHO to load the tarps at a site and dump them into the back of trucks than it is to dump them curbside and have a jabrone suck them up with a vac hose.

What you are saving overall is not only volume(space) in your rigs but how much more you can do in a day by not having to stop to dump because you are full.

Although these units can save an awful lot of time in the end, if the debris is wet you have to keep un-clogging the hoses. This can be a PITA.

All in all if your not trying to reduce space dont waste your dollar. I know of an LCO who purchased a 24' stake bed for the purpose of hauling leaf debris and IMHO he will get much more accomplished with a 4th man and tarps than those trying to vac debris curbside.

Kris
Old 09-24-2001, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

The whole idea of truck Vacs and ZTRs, are the labor saving aspects. To have a bunch of guys pulling tarps and lifting them on the back of trucks imo is not very cost effective. For the $16-1800 you'll spend initially, you will make your money back in no time and be able to use this machine for years to come. On top of that, you won't have to have 3 or 4 guys dragging tarps when you could be blowing leaves into piles and moving the truck from one area to the next to suck them up. You will get 3 times the volume of leaves in your truck with a truck loader than you will with dragging tarps, that equals less trips to the dump and more time cleaning up leaves.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check this out

I could suck it up in less than 2 minutes, TOPS.

Even with a 16hp one less than 10 minutes on man.

I agree with KutnKru and Grapvine on the speed and ease vrs. tarp.

Quote:
You will get 3 times the volume of leaves in your truck with a truck loader
BTW Grapvine the MFG's say almost 10 to 1 with a vac loader. Some say 12 to 1.

LGF:blob1:
Old 09-25-2001, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Member

LGF that's an amazing setup. My 1 ton Dump is completely enclosed, but clearly not as large as that bad boy. I've been using the same Billy goat Truck loader for about 9 years, (replaced impeller, housing etc.. due to wear) couldn't do Fall Clean-ups without it and a Dump Truck. That 10-1 stat surprised me.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't pick up unmulched leaves very often. Most of the leaves are mulched with the Peco vac on the mower, then sucked in the truck. You can put a LOT of leaves in doing it this way. It's more like 25-1.

Doing unmulched leaves. When I first got my loader vac. I did some that were not mulched and it packed them in well, and mulched very well. The funny thing is, the vac's mulch wet leaves better than dry leaves. I guess they don't fly threw as fast, who knows.

LGF:blob1: