Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have some erosion issues

I have some erosion issues. The lawn I put in last year in October has a slight hill in the back and the water from the neighbor's lawn just runs down and washes it all out. I need to fix this, but just want any help from you guys/girls as how to fix it properly. Thanks, Tom
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2007, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

You dont stop water just divert it. Simple fix is blind ditch pref. pipe and 57's and dont run it on the other neighbor he will be pissed at you.
Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where is the water coming from at the neighbor's??? Gutters, try turning them. Or like Mike said burying drain tile and have a pop up at the bottom of the hill.

Have any pictures of the neighbor's house?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The homeowner does not want any drainage put into their lawn, due to the neighbor's house is lower than theirs and it would all shoot into their lawn, so not so much. I was thinking just put some gravel into it and then soil, and netting on top to help hold it all in. The water is comming from the top of the hill and just shooting down through all the surrounding people's lawns
Old 04-23-2007, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well just bring in a little dirt fill the ditches try to compact it some. seed and use some straw blankets. use lots of stakes. then take some straw bales and use them to direct the water around the patch. when the grass comes in good remove the straw bales and patch this back. it won't look the best with the bales in the yard for a few weeks but it will work
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like there was a drainage problem before you got there I would tell them the problem and charge them to fix it. By the way the lawn looks like it came in a little patchy did you drill the seed or just brodcast it? If I did a lawn and it came in like that my customer would be more upset with the patchy lawn then the drainage. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-05-2007, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSlawn View Post
Looks like there was a drainage problem before you got there I would tell them the problem and charge them to fix it. By the way the lawn looks like it came in a little patchy did you drill the seed or just brodcast it? If I did a lawn and it came in like that my customer would be more upset with the patchy lawn then the drainage. Just my 2 cents
There was a slight drainage problem before hand. But it is my friend's uncle, so he could care less. The front came in beautifully as he was cutting it in 3 weeks after we did it. The only reason why the back is so patchy is due to the excessive rain we got in the fall last year and washed alot of it out. But we will be redoing it soon enough so it will be all lush and green and thick!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

From the looks of it the dirt looks soft and you seeded it so the grass did not have a good root system to hold the dirt.

I would fill the ruts in and pack them down. Lay some rows or sod every few feet apart. All the way down.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We actually put 3 inches of soil over the existing dirt, which was mostly 100% pure rock solid clay. I finally figured alot of the problem out the last time I was there. The neighbors uphill from them had their landscapers do their lawn and they buried the drain grate in the yard with soil, seed and straw. So I unburied it and hopefully that will help alot with the water run off issue