Register free!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin'_homer
I've finally been able to narrow my search for a small machine to 2 choices: the Gravely 34Z and the Dixon Black Bear. With the Dixon being new, it is hard to find opinions/reviews on it. My question is about engine choice. Dixon offers either a V-twin Kawasaki 16hp (FH480V kai) or a single cylinder 18hp Kohler Command Pro (CV493). Kawasaki's website may have the wrong specs published as it says the max hp for the unit is 13.6. It seems to me that the twin cylinder would have more torque and power when it counts even though it's a little smaller in displacement and max HP.

I've dealt with both dealers before and they are both good so I can't use that as a deciding factor and I'm having a hard time deciding.

If anyone could offer some advice or experience, it is greatly appreciated.
thanks - M.H.
I have the gravley, and like the others will say its a great little mower. As far as engine choice I would say its a matter of preference (who has had luck with what), I prefer Kohler. But, I would say what ever you do, dont get the dixon. I know nothing of dixon, but dont ever ever get a new mower. Exmark is the best, or right up there, but remember the 26 inch push mower when it came out? Problems. The gravley can stand up to alot, trust me. It can pull out a 52 exmark out of the mud, pull small trees, even cut grass real nice.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

i am a dealer and work on all kinds of engines. i see problems with all of them. mostly it is the owner that don't clean the air filter often enough. or change it. i do not see a lot of problems with the exmark mowers. i sell some different brands and just do not get the dealer suport that i get from exmark. if i was going into the mowing business i would go with exmark all the way. we also sell stihl, shindiawa, husky, snapper and a couple of others.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had no problems with my Kawasaki twin...over 300 hours on my 34z..I just bought a Toro 21" with a Kawi again...I only stay away from Briggs and Stihl.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used all types of gas motors. kohler years ago (cast Iron) could not be beat. But, today kawasaki is the way to go, then briggs. I am an old kohler fan with a 1968/1972 Case still running great. It is so hard to get kohler to back up their engines/parts for some reason. I have been switching to kawasaki for the last two years. Back Packs/Lawn mowers/weed trimmers, edgers etc. Just purchased JD 657 with 23HP Kawa and Love it/
Old 08-15-2006, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone has their preference. But for me it's Kawasaki.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

my first walkbehind had a 13 hp KAW on it. i abused this engine for ten yrs, didnt change the oil as recomended, dirty air filter constantly. till the day i sold it, this engine burned no oil and always ran great! yes, my new mower has a 15 hp KAW on it also.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Mowin:

1) Clearly prostreet has an agenda. Admits it himself.
2) I suspect tech mans data is correct. But the intepretation suggested is very flawed... That is:
To uderstand a failure rate one must know both the failure quantity AND THE INSTALLED BASE. Thus, if there are twice as many Kohlers, say, then kawi's in production, an equal failure rate would still show twice as many kohlers units in for repairs... Hope I'm clear on that.

3) Kohlers "courage" motor has a less then stellar rep. I'd still happily own a command.

4) But I owned a JD 265 w/a 16.5 single kawi for 16 years before I sold it. Still running strong. You can be sure my new 757 has a kawi in it.

5) Me thinks you have the torque thing backwords. Normally large displacement single cylinder motors have better torque, and lower in the rpm range. As I recall.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech man View Post
Out of all the engines we fix in a year.....

45% kohler
30% Briggs
15% Tecumseh
5% kawasaki

Our service director has all the numbers. Hope it helps.

For those to mean anything would you not have to determine how many of each is out there?

Edit:

Sorry some one already made the point better than I. I should read the whole thread b4 posting.

Last edited by Duekster; 01-02-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

new to the board i'm looking @ getting a toro z master 300 is it reliable?