Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2007, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Member

help on fence price/costing

I've been asked to give a quote to build a 100 ft fence. He wants it all in pressure treated wood. 4x4, 2x2 and pickets. It's straight and there is no gates. I've priced out the wood and it comes to just under $1400.00, and i also have to take down the old one and pull the posts.
There are a couple of things that are certain, I know the cost of the product, I charge $11.00 a hole ( 24 holes) i have a good idea how long it will take me to take down, pull the posts and get rid of the old fence (4hrs x 2 men @$40.00/hr). we have our own mini skid steer.
What i am looking for is someone who knows how to price/cost the building of the fence to give some advice to proceed. I've build quite a few fences for friends and family and a few for customers but they were by the hour and i wasn't smart enough at that time to track the time it took to do the build. Little things forgoten or not done can effect how you proceed on projects in the future.
The fence is six feet high with three stringers and 10 ft posts, the pickets are 6 inches wide with miminal gap.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

ajmctree,

Around here it is not uncommon to charge $17 - $22 per linear foot of fence. That is for an initial install and does not include tearing the old fence out. What are the 2x2's used for in your material list? Just out of curiosity what do you have to pay for cedar pickets up there. I have been in the fence business about 6 years and have seen the price of cedar pickets rise tremendously in that time. Good luck with your project!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am thinking the 2x4s are runners between the post. Something to hold the pickets to.

Last fall I was at $18 and change per foot.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

LindblomRJ,

What do you have to pay for western red cedar pickets? They are up to $3.49 a piece here! I use 2x4's for stringers, but the original posting has 2x2's listed in the material. Hope it is just a typo! It is easy to get bids here if you keep your prices reasonable. Not a lot of people that like "installing" the post holes I guess. I use a gas powered auger, but want to upgrade to a mini skid steer like a Toro Dingo or a Ditch Witch.....will make the work much easier and efficient. Also, do you have problems with your treated lumber warping since they changed the treatment process? I am curious if they could kiln dry the treated lumber. It seems like it would reduce the warpage. I won't install treated pickets anymore. They just warp terribly and get the customer pissed at me! I do still used treated posts and stringers, but it is hard to find good straight lumber that stays straight!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think the price for cedar pickets is about the same. Setting post is pretty easy if you keep everything straight and plumb. I havn't used a handheld gas post hole digger. I may be looking at one if I end up with more work. Used 3 point and hydraulic on a bobcat skidloaders.

The lumber quality any more not as good as it once was. When I was helping framing houses I culled more than I used for studs.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 05-06-2007, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

The 2x2 should of read 4x4. As for cedar i can go to some friends who have a mill and get 12 to 18 foot 1x6 for $7 or $8 dollars. They aren't always cutting as they are fallers and only cut when they have a lay off. As for post holes we have a Ramrod 1150 w/ a auger, works very well. We have alot of cedar around here and even at the lumber yard a 6 foot picket willcost $3 or less.