Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKeeLand View Post
Here are some more pics

Sweet stuff Ive always been amazed at what you Block heads can do. You all make homes look good
Old 05-06-2007, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_x View Post
Jason,
In the semi-circular steps in this thread, what is the brand and prduct of wall (step block)? It is similar to the Unilock Roman Rias product, but it looks to come in a variety of widths.

Thanks,
Rob
it is techo creta or creta plus.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
Speaking of filling in for raised patio. I was at a cambridge round table dinner weeks ago. The owner of pavetech happened to be in town and came to the dinner with the owner of cambridge pavers. We asked him what he recommended for raised patio fill.

He said use concrete sand or clear 3/4 stone. He said they both compact faster than road base and you are able to do larger lifts with those materials.

Matt
You know... stuff like this really Annoys me. Personally, I think you'd be better off filling in the patio with fill dirt, geotextile and then finishing off with 6" of 2a and 1" of bedding sand, than to hear the supposed "big shots" give their poor advice on construction techniques.

IF you were to use 2b (clean stone), Yes, it will almost self-level and require minimum effort to compact. The problem lies with the un-foreseen troubles, such as now that you just built a huge french drain next to a residence. Where to you think all the rain water will go? It will fill in between all that stone and work it's way down to grade. Other problems will include bees, ants and insects that find nooks and cratties to build nests. If you use clean stone, you'll need an extra layer of geotextile on the stone before you put your bedding sand down. If not, the bedding sand will slowly either wash down during heavy rain, or dry out and migrate into the stone like an hour glass.

I've NEVER heard to use straight sand, and I would never even attempt it. Using sand is like trying to contain water. It WILL turn to liquid upon heavy rain and wash out in a hole as small as a pencil. Sand will hold water for years upon years. Do yourself a favor, and stick with the 2a, roadstone or solid fill.

Champ

Last edited by ChampionLS; 05-06-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
lol, what the hell is a j-91?
Come on Mark, Ab limestone blend block ( j-91 )
Mike
Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't beat me up over this but can someone explain how a drain column works? I am assuming that when you fill a raised patio with flowable fill, you can't install a typical 4" perf pipe with weep holes. What are the drainage options?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionLS View Post
Sand will hold water for years upon years.

Champ
sand, hold water????

that is exactly the opposite of what sand does...

sand is nothing more than very small rocks. it does not hold water at all.

I live on a sand pile ( outer banks of NC). and trust me.... sand does NOT hold water...

one of the reasons for using sand as a bedding material is that it will allow water to drain out from under the pavers.

also sand does not liquefy like clay particles..... so washouts with sand are far less likely than with clay soils.

they pump sand onto our beaches every few years. they do this by using a dredge to suck up sand and water from offshore and pump it onto the beach. the sand falls out of the water and is left on the beach. The last time they pumped, they hit a clay pocket and the clay remained suspended in the water and did not fall out of the water, so we did not get the amount of material on the beach that we were supposed to have.

I do not advocate the use of sand for base, but the properties you have listed above are not associated with sand.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sand at grade level will not hold water, and yes, it will drain very easily. Everything you mention above is true. BUT - build a raised patio, using retaining wall blocks and fill it in with sand, and when your done, put your pavers on top. Now take a garden hose and flood the pavers with water. See what happens. The water will find the smallest crevice and start draining. All that sand will soak up the water like a huge sponge and stay saturated. When enough water soaks into it, all your sand will turn to a liquefied mess and pour out like oatmeal. How do you think beaches erode? Sand flows very easily when it's saturated, because of it's small particle size. Unless you live on a tropical island, where common aggregate isn't available, why not just use the right material.

Heres some photos showing what happens when you build on sand.
Attached Images