Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
How large of a mower is too large?

My lawn crew can average of 20 yards a day. Average is 3/4 acre. Amost all clients are in strips in neighborhoods. 2 days a week they unload in the morning and 20 yards later they reload. The majority of this is done with a 52 Lazer HP, with some help from a WBH 48 and WBH 32. This is normally OK, but with late spring coming and many double cuts on the way there just isnt enough time in a day for about 5 weeks. I am considering a new mower. I can sell the HP and get a new one maybe a 66". A 60" isnt that big of an improvement from my experience. Would even consider a 72" Question is how big can you go before you are running into issues with size? Also what kind of improvement can I expect to see as far as time savings? I would like to get 10-12 hour days down to about 7-8. Also most yards are pretty open so not a tremendous amount beds or trees. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
My lawn crew can average of 20 yards a day. Average is 3/4 acre. Amost all clients are in strips in neighborhoods. 2 days a week they unload in the morning and 20 yards later they reload. The majority of this is done with a 52 Lazer HP, with some help from a WBH 48 and WBH 32. This is normally OK, but with late spring coming and many double cuts on the way there just isnt enough time in a day for about 5 weeks. I am considering a new mower. I can sell the HP and get a new one maybe a 66". A 60" isnt that big of an improvement from my experience. Would even consider a 72" Question is how big can you go before you are running into issues with size? Also what kind of improvement can I expect to see as far as time savings? I would like to get 10-12 hour days down to about 7-8. Also most yards are pretty open so not a tremendous amount beds or trees. Thanks

20 lawns in the same spot at 3/4 acre each and it takes your guys 10-12 hours each day? Are you out working with them because it sounds like they are slacking.

We have 1 spot with 5 lawns of which 4 are 1 acre each and the 5th is 1 1/2 acres and with 3 of us it takes an hour and 20 minutes. Thats with me on the 48" Tank, my father on the 34Z and our buddy trimming.

Anyway if all of them are wide open then a 72 sounds like it might work well for you.
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
CRF500 CRF500 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Newberry FL
Posts: 152
A lot of it depends on your properties, if they are wavy and bumpy I would say no 72. I personally would not use a 72 on anything smaller than an acre. I have not bought one because I only have 3 properties that justify it.

A 60 is good for a ZTR,all Ztr's for my conditions would be no smaller than 60. I believe the standers and a good wb with velkie fill in anything under a 60.

Machine comfort and ride is another concern, if one mower can cut at 15MPH and another only goes 10 than which one is going to mow more grass?

I personnally think if you want to keep all your customers happy and try and line them up back to back lighter WB and Standers are a better choice over a ZTR.

The ZTR's are brutal on most lawns when going at a good clip, I really like standers for what it sounds like you are doing and if a ZTR a bigger one may save you some time it may lose you some work on the other end with torn up turf issues?

You have to weigh all these issues, but for my big commercial accounts just give me a Hustler super baby and I am gone and on the trailer in a flash, BANG ZOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
gene gls's Avatar
gene gls gene gls is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Granville, Ma. 01034
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
20 lawns in the same spot at 3/4 acre each and it takes your guys 10-12 hours each day? Are you out working with them because it sounds like they are slacking.

We have 1 spot with 5 lawns of which 4 are 1 acre each and the 5th is 1 1/2 acres and with 3 of us it takes an hour and 20 minutes. Thats with me on the 48" Tank, my father on the 34Z and our buddy trimming.

Anyway if all of them are wide open then a 72 sounds like it might work well for you.
I think you need to remeasure your lots, 5.5 acres is a bit much for your equipment in that time frame.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 PM
cutbetterthanyou cutbetterthanyou is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: intheboonies,maryland
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
I think you need to remeasure your lots, 5.5 acres is a bit much for your equipment in that time frame.
I agree I have one place that is about 5.5 acres and it takes about the same time w/ 3 guys but that is on 2 on 72's 1 guy one a weedeater.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
20 lawns in the same spot at 3/4 acre each and it takes your guys 10-12 hours each day? Are you out working with them because it sounds like they are slacking.

We have 1 spot with 5 lawns of which 4 are 1 acre each and the 5th is 1 1/2 acres and with 3 of us it takes an hour and 20 minutes. Thats with me on the 48" Tank, my father on the 34Z and our buddy trimming.

Anyway if all of them are wide open then a 72 sounds like it might work well for you.
Most of the year I am with them most of the time. 3/4 acre is a guess on the average. A few are 1/4-1/2 and the others are 1.5-2. For example it takes a 2 man crew 2.5-3 hours to mow a 6 lawn block of 8 acres. 99% is done with the ZTR. During the summer when it grows less it is 2 hrs. 3 guys can bang it out in 1.75 hours. This is with absolutely no slacking. Is something wrong? Average day is 8-9 hours, but when the sprinklers get turned on, Chem Burn double applicates, and the temp is right the same route can take 11 hours. This lasts for a few weeks usually. I understand the ZTR problems, but the 48 is real slow compared. Would a 60 WBH be a better choice?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 PM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
Basically I'm looking to get more power, save some time, and pic up a few more lawns. I need to keep the 32. Other than that I just need some thing big, fast, and powerful but not overkill. And another no wider than 52" WBH for hills and large gates. I'm not opposed to replacing both mowers if it will help.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
lifetree's Avatar
lifetree lifetree is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
I think you need to remeasure your lots, 5.5 acres is a bit much for your equipment in that time frame.
I agree ... this sounds a little too fast !!
__________________
2007 Dixon RAM MAG 50" ZTR
2006 Dixon RAM MAG 50" ZTR
2005 Gravely 34" ZTR
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Liquidfast's Avatar
Liquidfast Liquidfast is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 739
You're only as fast as your trimmer. If you have 10 72" going balls to the wall and the man trimming takes 2 hours, well now u have a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 AM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
Yes but trimmers come cheap and so does labor, but finding someone who can mow straight, clean, and fast and wont rip up the lawns or crash into stuff is much harder. One guy, one mower. Rather than multiple slow WBHs being run by trimmers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.10348 seconds with 9 queries