Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2007, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I think though you also have to give me that the 20% increase in productivity you use to get your numbers is very relative to a given application.
the 20% was just an example based off of Scags post.

Quote:
Your $2.00 an hour increase is not what the industry says. The information I have seen says 10-15 an hour depending on model.
Who actually knows the answer.We can all crunch numbers and come up with a guess but most units ,other the Takeuchi are so new too the market that it is hard too pin it down.There are 10 rollers on my machine and 2 sprockets.
Coming from a reputable source the rollers and sprockets will last through 3 and sometimes 4 sets of tracks.
I have a friend who has over 2000 hours on his tracks and 3000 on the machine.
Most will only get around 1000 to 1500 hours.
I will guess that around 4500 hours would be considered tops for most machines(lifespan on the Machine).
Take 3 sets of tracks 10k ,a complete set of rollers and sprockets 2000,and the labor too install them.
Just say 14k.
Now divide that by 4500 hours.

If it was 10 dollars an hour extra then that would mean it would cost 45 k more during it's life too maintain it.At 15 an hour that would mean 67500.00 dollars more too maintain it.
I just do not see it.
I had several people tell me the same thing and I asked them too show me on paper.Still waiting.
The tracks,rollers and sprockets are pretty much the only difference between my CTL and a wheeled machine.

Quote:
If you track your costs I would like to see what the tracks actually cost you at say 1500 hours.
Maybe if I would park my Tractor and use the Skid more I could get there sooner.

Quote:
I only say that a lot of thought needs to go into the decision.

I agree.But as in any Business decision base it on facts.
That is all I am saying.

KSSS I do very much respect your opinion as well as Scags and most of the other guys here.

I asked alot of these same questions when I was purchasing my machine and early on I got the same exact answers.
I stepped back,talk too several different operators(in my area) and realized that the Tracked machine best fit my scenario.
40 hours of my Machine time so far is work that I do not think I could have accomplished without a CTL.Thats 20% of my hours.

But I do have a Tractor too fill in for the rare times when I need tires and I have both machines too take too jobs.
If I had too do it with only a skid steer then maybe my opinion would be different.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

KSSS (Quote)I guess that is the idea behind the VTS track system. Although changing steel tracks is a pain, I can't see changing the VTS tracks on and off very often.

Even if i had large skid the VTS wouldn't be a option because of the price.They are way over priced.If i need tracks i would wether take the cost of buying VTS put it in on trade for a factory track machine.The prices i have seen all 10k to 13k for the VTS setup.I'm sure the tracks aren't cheap to replace and the up keep any different then other track machine,probably more.

By one website i saw i thing Cat own VTS or a big part of it.

By the way i checked out the Case 450CTL and was impressed with the iron in them.There was a few things i could pick on ,but like all of us we could pick any of they over even mine(SMILEY).Over all would give it a 9.5 score.This one was new and priced down the line.Sure they had it priced to move to make room for the pilot control machines.With the pilots already out i wouldn't have built their machine.

The saleman didn't mention pilots until i asked.Would consider Case machine,altho this area dealers are far and in between,but at my age!!!!!!!! what i have will probably do.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have both a wheeled and tracked machine the wheeled machine never leaves our supply yard. I take my track machine anywhere I would take a wheeled one
I run over rocks gravel pavement brush broken concrete you name it and I would of probably ruined several tires and had countless flats on the wheeled machine with tires you are always worried about what you are running over and if you have a flat in mud on the rear of the machine you will understand.
You can foam fill them but that is expensive and adds weight and is not recommended if you run steel tracks. I would only buy a wheeled machine if it was going to be run on a hard surface all the time. The track machine does everything better IMO.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're not getting any more work done per hour with a tracked machine vs. a wheeled machine and you're not charging any more hourly for a tracked machine, you're losing twice when compared to a wheeled machine. Just something to think about.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon Landscaping View Post
I have both a wheeled and tracked machine the wheeled machine never leaves our supply yard. I take my track machine anywhere I would take a wheeled one
I run over rocks gravel pavement brush broken concrete you name it and I would of probably ruined several tires and had countless flats on the wheeled machine with tires you are always worried about what you are running over and if you have a flat in mud on the rear of the machine you will understand.
You can foam fill them but that is expensive and adds weight and is not recommended if you run steel tracks. I would only buy a wheeled machine if it was going to be run on a hard surface all the time. The track machine does everything better IMO.
I have a 773 and a T-300 and the 773 almost never leaves the yard anymore.

I'm adding another tracked machine next week. Either a C175 or C185 New Holland. While they don't have the creature comforts of the Bobcat they seem to be able to out puch the Bobcat quiet easily.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's allot of money 10-13 thousand for the VTS setup. I thought there was tracks out there for way less than that.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks View Post
Thanks for all of the opinions. I think I am going to wait. I really want a Cat 247/257 w/ AC.

Here's one for ya !

http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-CAT-277-SKI...QQcmdZViewItem

Creative Hardscapes
Old 05-07-2007, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have pretty much decided to just rent now. I have a dingo 425 w/ harley, trencher, auger, etc that I use just about everyday... so I really only need the skid for heavy lifting and grading large areas. I have pretty much decided what I want though. After renting a bobcat and a cat... I am going cat when the time comes. I can spend hours w/ no fatigue. And I will probably get a wheeled skid... just can't justify the cost/maintenance of tracks especially when I have a tracked mini-skid.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have an update. Just bought a Cat 248b off of the used equip marketplace. $4500 delivered
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

can u say steal?