Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im confused!!

OK. Im trying to fill 200 gals. I first filled the tank to 140 gals of water. Then I put in fert.

This is were I get confused.

When I add fert the water level moves to close to 160 gals. Now I need to add my 3 way. Should I still use the rate for 140 gals because thats the amount of water I put in the tank? Or should I use the rates now for 160 gals because that is the current water level?

Im just starting to spray and I just want to get this right.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What rate are you spraying at?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you want to mix your weed control to the total liquid tank mix. be sure you know how many gallons per k your applying before you mix the weed control.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We need the amount of water you intend to apply per 1000 sq ft to make this determination.

That said, the total 200 gallons is the entire fill. So if you were adding 2 gallons of liquid chemicals to the mix, the water portion would be 198 gallons. Yes, the fertilizer does dissolve but it still occupies some "space" in the tank however insignificant that might be.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Corrie, Baby, Child, forget amt of water in tank. YOU NEED TO CALCULATE TO THE NUMBER OF SQ. FT. of area that you intend to spray. Water is the carrier for the chems or fertilizer. Most guys can spray 1K with 1 gallon of water or a bit more. You could in theory spray 1000 sq. ft. with 1 oz. of product and 200 gallons of water. Might be a bit soggy and drown, leach,runoff, make them grow and everything else that would effect the weeds. Think about what Runner pointed out to you.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im spraying 2 gals a min or 2 gal per K.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clallen03 View Post
Im spraying 2 gals a min or 2 gal per K.
Where in Georgia are you? Any old coots like me around you?

Anyway to cut that down to about 1 gal/1000sq.ft? Have you practices with a 4 gal. backpack?
If so, have you checked on dry pavement to see if 1 gal is covering 1000sf of pavement. How are you doing that with a Z? Did you check a 5 gal bucket and time how long it took--in your case 2 1/2 minutes should fill the 5 gal bucket?
Corrie, the intent of the mgf. is to evenly distribute their product at said number of oz. per acre but in our case 1000sq. This is to protect them from lawsuits and other claims. You must have a way of gauging the output of your water that is mixed with the chemicals. After you've done enough spraying and regulating your equipment; you'll get a feel or educated guess of how much water you're putting down on the lawn and with that water you will have a certain amount of product that is evenly distributed.
Maybe Runner or Ric can explain a bit better.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok
2gal/1000 means you're treating 100,000sf per 200 gal
with an empty tank fill half way with water, add fert, herbicide and anything else then top off with water. when adding product you should be adding enough to cover 100,000sf

so lets say you go out and treat 50000sf. that leaves you with 100gals of mix in your tank at the end of the day and tomorrow you plan on treating 100000sf. now you will add product for 50000sf coverage on top of the 100gal in the tank giving you a full 200 gal mix ready for 100000sf

make sence?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your help but Im still a bit confused.

Let me try to ask my question a little different.
Im filling to cover 100,000 sqft of turf at 2 gals per K im going to need 200 gals of water. My fill chart has the rates for 46-0-0 is 217 lbs for this amount of turf. Now I know I dont need to fill the tank to 200 gals then add the chemicals becasue that will make my tank overflow with the weight of a little more then 4 50lb bags of fert.

So I guess Im asking how do you'll fill your tanks? The reason Im asking is becasue your fill chart says you should use 110 oz of 3-way for every 200 gals. But you only put approximately 165 gals of water in the tank and the 4 bags of fert has rasied the water level to 198 gals. Should you use the 165 gal fill rate because that is the amount of water you added? Or should you go with the 200 gal fill rate because that is what your water level is currently at?

This question may sound stupid to you guys that have been doing this for a while, but I think its a legitamate question.
I thank everyone for their help, one day I'll be able to provide the same type of help to someone in a similar situation.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lawnservice that does make sense. Im just wondering about the water level. I think someone said the water level doesn't matter. So Im under the impression that I just fill the tank half way, add the chemicals at the 100,000 sqft rate, then fill the rest of the tank to the 200 gal mark. Never mind the actual amount of water you use as long as water plus chemicals totals to 200 gal.

Is this what you'll are saying.