Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-06-2007, 10:40 PM
dtelawncare dtelawncare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northeast, AL
Posts: 227
Bad check

Well, I had my first payment from a customer be no good. I have been in business about a year and a half and this was the first. It was for $355. My Credit Union sent me the letter about it. I know I should have gotten all this in order already, but I don't know how to handle this. He was late on paying me to start with. Said he had ran into some cash flow issue waiting on payment from his own customers. He owns a business out of state and that makes it hard to catch him other than voicemail. He wrote me a bad check out of his business. He had to have known the check was no good when he give it to me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Woody82986's Avatar
Woody82986 Woody82986 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,925
Well the first thing to do would probably be to contact him and talk to him about it. See what the deal is and figure out how he plans on paying you for the services you have rendered. Go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-06-2007, 10:59 PM
howardsells2000 howardsells2000 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody82986 View Post
Well the first thing to do would probably be to contact him and talk to him about it. See what the deal is and figure out how he plans on paying you for the services you have rendered. Go from there.

I agree with Woody, sometimes we make mistakes. He may fix the problem right away. Make sure you add the bounced check charge onto his bill. My bank charges me $5.00 for any checks that bounce. It has only happened a few times with my customers but after letting the customer know about the bank charge, they have always agreed to pay it.
__________________
Howard's Professional Lawn Service LLC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 AM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
[Headers (date, addresses, etc)]

Dear customername,

Your check in the amount of $ has been returned due to insufficient funds. The bank will not allow redeposit of the check since it has already been presented on two occasions.

Would you please forward the amount of the check, plus the $xx fee for the service charge for returned checks, to:
(name of firm)
(address)
(city,state,zip)

We must ask that this amount of $ be paid by either cash, certified check, or money order.

If you have any questions, you can contact me during office hours.


Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 AM
procut's Avatar
procut procut is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Don't worry about it...
Posts: 1,855
First contact him, see if he will go good on it.

I'm not sure what the laws are in your state, but in MI any bad check over $25.00 is a felony. Go down to the cop shop, tell them someone gave you a NSF check. They will give you what is called a five day notice. You fill it out and send it to him via certified mail, read recipt requested. After he recieves it, he has 5 days to contact you to make good on it or make other arrangments. If he does not go good on it within that time, contact the police again, they will meet with you and get the details, and put out a warrant for him.

Keep in mind this is how it works in Michigan, your state might be differant. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Flow Control's Avatar
Flow Control Flow Control is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio/Florida
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtelawncare View Post
Well, I had my first payment from a customer be no good. I have been in business about a year and a half and this was the first. It was for $355. My Credit Union sent me the letter about it. I know I should have gotten all this in order already, but I don't know how to handle this. He was late on paying me to start with. Said he had ran into some cash flow issue waiting on payment from his own customers. He owns a business out of state and that makes it hard to catch him other than voicemail. He wrote me a bad check out of his business. He had to have known the check was no good when he give it to me.
Welcome to the club, we have gotten to the point of seeing a couple a year. Last year we had one for around 3k (it was an out of state check too) so I took it to the police station. Since it was an out of state check it was a more serious infraction. So give the guy a call, I am sure he will be embarrassed but more likely then not he will feel bad and want to get you your money asap. To wrap up the story from the check the LCO wrote me that bounced, he made good on that one but stiffed me for the remaining payment of 7k. Damn LCO's
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 AM
HOOLIE's Avatar
HOOLIE HOOLIE is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,986
You can call his bank and they can verify if funds are available. If so, re-deposit the check.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Charles's Avatar
Charles Charles is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
You can call his bank and they can verify if funds are available. If so, re-deposit the check.
I know Bank Of America won't do that anymore. All they will tell you is whether the account is open. I don't know about the rest of the banks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Page generated in 0.10203 seconds with 9 queries