Register free!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mulch washout/ french drain?

I have a job that a guy wants my to do, and part of it is fixing the mulch from washing out because of the down spouts. I think a french drain is probally the best/only option. The thing is, the beds are between the building and the sidewalk, and the amout of plants limted space for the drain. Because of the limited area I am scared the drain will not work correctly. I was thinking of making the drain shorter but deeper but there is not telling what is under the top layer of dirt. If i make it long it would have to go through a bunch of turns around plants which I don't think would be good etheir because the roots would mesh up the drain over time. Any option would be great. They can be how to make the drain work, or a diffrent option all togetheir, I am open to everything, thanks.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Just use solid 4" PVC and run them to from the downspout to a drain of just a pop-up emitter that exits in the yard.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea, but i can't get it to the yard. The beds are completly surounded by building or cemente sidewalks with no pipe going through the sidewalk, then on the otheir side of the walks there is blacktop.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

You could have it exit onto the pavement.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how, there is no pipeing going through the sidewalk to the pavement. the guy does not want to cut any of it up or any water runing across the sidewalks.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out this product by NDS. It is an improved version of the French Drain and works very well. You can get a simple drainage calculator and figure the flow and determine the number of units, if more than one and the recommended installation technique. I'm sure you can contact NDS with all the information and they can do the calculations for you. I have worked with a local marketing firm that represents NDS and had them come out to some problem sites and offer excellent solutions.

http://www.ndspro.com/products/Info....class=Drainage

Kirk