Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Preferred Way of Getting Designs?

I have a contractor I do drafting and design work for, and he's asked if I would consider using Dynascape (I currently use AutoCAD). For those who use the services of an outside designer- do you even care how your design is prepared? Right now I'm really competitive in terms of price because I'm so fast (I bill my contractors by the hour + doc prep fees). It'll be a while before I'm this fast with another program. Do any of you guys work with a designer? If so, what do you ask for at the end?

Dave
Old 05-08-2007, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I work with a designer sometimes on larger jobs that are high end. I expect a design that is presentable to the customer and that's it. I don't care what he uses, if you use AutoCAD then that is what you use. If he gives you a lot of business that will pay for the software I might consider it, but he should be able to present and sale an AutoCAD design all day long. One thing I add to my designs is I look up pictures of the plants on the internet and attach them to an e-mail and send it out to the customer. This helps them visualize the final product a little better.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave,

If your not buying the program, it'll be a win-win. You won't have any trouble learning it and may prefer some of the additional features and rendering modes it offers. From what I understand, it's format is compatible with CAD or at least easily imported, so that any engineers or architects involved can view and use the drawings. It's ability to detail is excellent and has a place in complex residential and light commercial applications as landscape design software.

For someone that already has Dynascape and can use your plans to maybe tweak or present, it would be a big advantage to have the work done in compatible software.

If we can get you to add Pro Landscape to your service base, I may never draw again. The 3D imaging feature in Pro Landscape along with plant portfolios created with Horticopia sell all the work I can get done.

Kirk
Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kirk,

That's actually in the works. I'm budgeting for Pro Landscape, and I'm meeting with my web designer next week to (hopefully) get everything up and running from that standpoint. I'm looking at offering at least three options, each with different price points: quick hand-drawn plans, plans in AutoCAD, and plans in Pro. I've actually got a pretty interesting prepaid plan in the works as well.

Dave
Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave,

Let me know when Pro is online. I picked up 2 more design jobs and have to make a call today about designing a large property for plants and accents. I will be needing some baseplans at least, and I know you can do those in CAD and print them out for me to scribble on.

Kirk
Old 05-12-2007, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have tried pro landscape and found it seriouly wanting in the 2D drawing department. I spun the disc for about 20 minutes and promptly put it back in it's packaging for return to sender. I bought the new version of Design CAD with a Rain CAD rider. Much more professional looking. I do design work for large developements and high end properties that need it to look a certain way. As far as billing I charge 65.00 bones per hour. A lot of research and visualization goes into a good design as you all know. I never have used the 3D portion as I have never had a need to do so.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com