Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Marketing idea

I own a fert and weed control business and I am thinking of offering it exclusivly through landscaper and lawn mowing companies. My thoughts are that alot of customers would like to deal with one company and alot of Landscapers do not have licenses to spray. I could give the landscaper a wholesale price for my service and they could mark it up retail for their customers and be able to be a one stop shop. I am thinking this would appeal to alot of small lawn mowers and landscapers. If I only provided service through them then I wouldn't be competition for them ( later signing the customer up directly). Do you guys think this would fly?

Thanks, TF
Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need a balance... I sub out all my apps to a contractor, but he has a good balance bt his customers and all of the contractors. If it were me, I would want to deal w/ just the clients. It seems like a more solid foundation. Lawn companies have a high client turnover rate, 40-60% of us fail at running a business, and alot of companies have cash flow problems and are hard to get a check from.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't mind doing a little sub work, but you wouldn't't want to build your business like this. I have a couple guys I now that I do some accounts for and its working out OK. but I have had other guys in the past that I worked with that were slow paying and a couple guys that decided to get licensed and take all their accounts. the more accounts you have the more likely the other guy will decide to get licensed and keep all the $$ for himself since you have built his customer base.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In Md, anyway, the mowing contractor would have to be licensed, too, as a pesticide consultant!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf View Post
I own a fert and weed control business and I am thinking of offering it exclusivly through landscaper and lawn mowing companies. My thoughts are that alot of customers would like to deal with one company and alot of Landscapers do not have licenses to spray. I could give the landscaper a wholesale price for my service and they could mark it up retail for their customers and be able to be a one stop shop. I am thinking this would appeal to alot of small lawn mowers and landscapers. If I only provided service through them then I wouldn't be competition for them ( later signing the customer up directly). Do you guys think this would fly?

Thanks, TF
YOU BET IT WORKS! This year I and a weed control/fertilizing company decided to do the same thing. I have grown 30%+ in 4 months. Works very well. Its nice for me because for the accounts we have together, they take care of all the billing and client relations. They send me a check every month and its great! The businesses are seperate still, file seperatley, advertise seperately, employ seperately...you know. I would recommend doing an extremley large amount of research on the other companies and getting an attorney for legal assistance. Dot your "i's" and cross those "t's", and you'll be very happy you did!!! Networking is one of if not the most profitable way to make greenbacks!
Chevrolet Silverado
6X14 open trailer
JD GX345 54"-20 liquid Kawi
Grasshopper Frontmount w/bagger-16 Vanguard
88' Craftsman 44" (first mower) still cuttin' grass
Poluon Pro 22"
JD 20"
Sthil ms290 saw -16"
2 stihl Kombi units-trimmer/broom/hedge
stihl fs75
Sears backpak blower/vac - (auction find)
Echo Hanheld Blower
Echo Backpak Blower
lots of tools....
Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking that I might get burned when it is Nov-Dec and I do the winterizer application and the lawn guy didn't save for winter. To gaurd agoinst this I was thinking about sending invoices a couple weeks before my applications to make sure I am paid then notify the landscapers after I apply so they can bill their customer. I really can see how if I don't protect myself I could get the shaft.
I am at the point where I need to grow faster, but don't have the funds to market to alot of people. It would be alot less costly to market to the LCOs.

Thanks, TF