Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-24-2007, 04:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My labor rate per hour is NOT disclosed to the customer ever and their is only 1 exception to this. They ask me point blank,,, what I am chargeing per hour.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshskis View Post
My labor rate per hour is NOT disclosed to the customer ever and their is only 1 exception to this. They ask me point blank,,, what I am chargeing per hour.
What do you say when they ask?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Surpriseingly not all ask but some do. when they ask I tell them what I charge per man per hr, and I also disclose my machine rates that are added to the basic labor rates. with the exception of string trimmers every gas powered tool has a hourly charge added to the labor rate but they are not line items on the bill the customers sees. These fees are critical, you can look at it this way, without chargeing for these tools how the heck do you pay for new ones? out of pocket? Gas powered tools should pay for themselves.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In other words if they ask I give a full disclosure of all my line item and non-line item charges.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good way to put it... I like your point about equipment having to pay for themselves and including that in cost.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you guys confusing landscape work with lawn maintenance work again?
There is a huge difference. You don't need the same type of equipment to do landscape installations as you do to mow and edge and weedwack and blow.
The responsibility factor is greater and the knowledge base is much broader in landscaping work as well.
Not saying one is better than the other but you must realize that the experience you have attained by performing the work for years in landscaping allows you to charge more and make more $$. Whereas maintenance you have to compete with the going rates in your area and do quantity to make more $$.
I posted 50.00 an hour but hourly is not how I deturmine my estimates nor how I charge for the work.
I charge depending upon site conditions, just a few are
access, soil condition, drainage conditions or lack of thereof, scope of the work requested and what will be required of me as I go about performing that work. All those things are evaluated by me to come up with what I want to make on that particular job.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbeginner View Post
Why do you say that?
well ill give you a couple of reasons why your business isn't legal.

If you pay them 11 dollars per hour and they pay taxes you have to match their contributions. Also you have to pay workmans comp for each employee based on what you pay them per hour. if you pay someone 11 dollars per hour you better charge at least 35 per hour to make it worth the headache of having an employee. I net 1000 per week solo so why would i want to have a bunch of guys go keep track of to make the same amount. If you only pay yourself 25 per hour you will quickly realize you are not actually making money. Hope this clears things up.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

sixty per hour.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel View Post
Are you guys confusing landscape work with lawn maintenance work again?
There is a huge difference. You don't need the same type of equipment to do landscape installations as you do to mow and edge and weedwack and blow.
The responsibility factor is greater and the knowledge base is much broader in landscaping work as well.
Not saying one is better than the other but you must realize that the experience you have attained by performing the work for years in landscaping allows you to charge more and make more $$. Whereas maintenance you have to compete with the going rates in your area and do quantity to make more $$.
I posted 50.00 an hour but hourly is not how I deturmine my estimates nor how I charge for the work.
I charge depending upon site conditions, just a few are
access, soil condition, drainage conditions or lack of thereof, scope of the work requested and what will be required of me as I go about performing that work. All those things are evaluated by me to come up with what I want to make on that particular job.
Theres sometimes equipment used for landscape work such as hedge trimmers, power edgers, sod cutters, etc.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

85 for me and another, split 65/35. Labor only.