Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2001, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco 48" Commercialplus

I have a chance to buy a year and a half old Lesco 48" Commercialplus mower. It looks like it is in great condition and has the Kawasaki 15hp motor. Is there anything special I should look for on this mower that has a tendancy to wear or break? Is there any particular maintenance pointers you can offer? It has new drive and pulley belts and the blades are in excellent condition. He is going to throw in the mulching kit the grass catcher and deliver it. I can buy this at half the price of a new one and even though it's a little too large for my yard, it's a hard offer to pass on.
Old 09-12-2001, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lesco 48" commercialplus

i have the machine you describe. the striping is good on the machine, i dont know why but i just dont like it. i am selling mine and it has only 20 hrs on it. even in jams i would not use it, something is off on the blowout and i talked to the dealer and he tells me its natural, but buddies of mine exmarks do not. i bought his machine to save me time in the spring which it did and the price was rite it was 2400 + bag+tax total $2720. however be aware that this size machine can be combersome on yards thats have sharp turns and bumps. i have scalped plenty and have managed to get it stuck in the yard and ended up talkin some of the lawn under the deck. it tore up lawn, but i think al machines would. u cant mow anywhere with this machine if it hasnt rained in the last day period. you will b covered with crap and breathe in stuff that does a number to your throat and lungs. i like my toro 36 much better. also i seem to always see these machines in the shop. my dealer probably had about 30 to sell hes got like10 left and every week i am there, there is at least 2 of these machines, no 36 or hydros or anything just the gear 48 bran news with problems. ive seen one guys that had 146+ hours on it and it looked like it was over 1000+ hrs used. the spindles rust as well as the casters, and this happened on my machine and it saw rain for about a minute on the trailer. this is just a heads up to you. i know many lco and homeowners are satisfied with this machine, but i am def not. good luck
Old 09-13-2001, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for your reply dlandscaping. What blades did you have on yours? Does it make a difference between the mulching and straight blades? I don't know if I mentioned that I am not a professional, I am considering this machine for personal use on a 1/2 acre. Overkill? Definitely, but I used my neighbors (American Mow?) and it did a great job. I don't like using a riding mower because of all the tire marks in the lawn and my little 21" push mower takes too long for the back of the house.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lesco 48" commercialplus

i use the standard high lift blades from the factory havent changed them yet, i buy all blades and parts wholesale but onyl twice a year so i am waiting till winter to buy new blades. i know another landscaper who has 48" walkbehinds , a bunton and a honda hydro and he likes them. he said he uses the gator mulching blades and they reduce blowout and cut the clippings b 1/5 so that is one less barrel of grass at the end of the day. 1/2 an acre isnt necessarily overkill with a walkbehind if you buy it used, the machine will last you and not give half as many problems as a homeowner rider. the cut will also be much better and if at some time u decide to start mowing you will allready have most of your equipment haha
Old 10-04-2001, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tuffturf—if you are still checking you posts here, I recommend that you buy that machine. I have one like it except with the 14 kawi. Engine.

I do not believe the unit is overkill for your size lawn. I use my unit on all lawns, large and small. Unfortunately, if you have junk planted every four feet in the yard you are going to have an unusual number of turns and that can test your nerves.

UNFORTUNATELY, everything that dlland. said about mulching is true. It is a miserable experience. That is why I almost never mulch. besides that, I don’t see the need for mulching and it doesn’t work for me in my market. AND, as for scalping he commented tha most mowers would. scalping is mostly operator error,IMO.

The only thing you need to do to that lesco 48 is grease the blade bearings and all the other points about once a month for homeowner use. About twice a year check the air filter and wash the foam pre-cleaner. For residential use you are talking about belts that will dry rot in 20 years before they wear out.

I say buy that thing and for your money out of pocket you will be ever so happy you did.

Need more info? Let me know.

GEO
Old 10-04-2001, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks geogunn, I did purchase the Lesco about two weeks ago and I can't be happier with the machine! I did mow on Saturday and now I know what everyone means when they say it blows grass and dirt all over the place. I was rubbing my eyes quit often. It puts great lines down in the lawn and it has never looked better! Luckily I don't have many obstacles in the back part of the lawn, it's pretty wide open. I also use it on the front but go very slow, I might go back to using my little 21" push mower on the front. I picked up some Lesco green paint and repainted the mowing deck (it wasn't bad but I'm a fanatic) and used wd40 to clean the rest of the mower. I let my neighbor use it and now he wants to get one but he can get a better deal than me because his wife works at MTD (just a couple miles from me) and he can use them as demo's for a year, free. I know where I can go if I ever need parts.

PS- they threw in a set of gator blades with the mower and they have been on since I started using it. Those things SHRED!!

I look forward to mowing now, it used to take over an hour and now it's down to about 30 minutes. Once I get used to it, I will be able to finish a lot quicker, more time to watch the Indians in the playoffs!!!
Old 10-06-2001, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

good luck to you guy!

I have a neighbor that has a big, hot dang john deere rider.

I swear it kills him that I don't run a trim mower! HA!

last year he came over after getting a buy on a trim mower and I asked him why he needed it....

NEEDLESS TO SAY he's looking for a commercial walk behind!

GEO
Old 10-06-2001, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on your buy I have a 52 Lesco w 14 Kawi. It had a 17
elec start but engine was too heavy. for mowing Ilike std blades best. The same for gators. Keep the underside clean it mows better. Also a oil the idler pulleys, lube blade engage pivot
At present I have 4 spacers on bottom and one on top
Ed
t
Old 10-07-2001, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

ed h.--I agree on the need to oil the idlers. I have one in the process of going south. but I can finish the season I think.

GEO