Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2000, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Leaf removal in fall can be a pain in the but. when pricing these should i charge extra or should it already be included in the weekly mowing service. If it is extra do I charge an hourly rate or do I charge a flat rate on the leaves removed. Also should I write this into the contract to let my customer know a head of time.<p>I hope this all makes sense and it would be great if anyone can help. thanks<p>----------<br>David<br>Northeast Ohio
Old 02-24-2000, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaf clean-up CAN be tough to make money at due to all they equipment required for such a short time of usage. The weather's bad, the days are short, etc.<p>But a lot of guys make great money at it.<p>We've gone to an hourly fee only for these services. The contract states the fees to be charged.
Old 02-24-2000, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best to go with Lazer's system of pricing. We wouldn't do it any other way. Quote a mowing price and an hourly price for cleanup.<p>If you try to include cleanup in mowing price, then some are liable to want you to chase down every leaf on property. If you are charging for time, then if one person wants more detail than what you would usually do, he's going to pay for the extra attention.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 02-24-2000, 07:51 PM
Banned

I agree with lazer but only for home onwers if it apartments or comm you can get a idea how much time to expect. We include only in comm. and muilti. res. are on a time or quote base. I still give people quotes and have not had to much bad luck so far.
Old 02-24-2000, 07:57 PM
Banned

If you want the money you have to take care of your clients yard. Part of that is removing the leaves from there yard. If you pay somebody 12 months in the year you expect<br>them to do something for those 12 months don't you?
Old 02-24-2000, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanx everyone all of your inputs have been great.<br>
Old 02-24-2000, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I charge by the hour. In the spring you need extra time for heavy growth. In the fall its the leaves.I run a Walker 48&quot; GHS unit and collect until its necessary to start with fall clean-up.I am usualy mowing every two or three weeks at that time and try to arange my mowing so I mow and collect twice befor there are so many leaves that a parshell clean-up is required.A parshell for me is just blowing off the lawn area to the truck and picking up with a leaf loader into the truck and then mowing the lawn.Then when all the leaves are down I do a compleate finial clean-up.There are lots of Oaks and Maples in my area that always have a good supply of leaves.Pennies from heaven.
Old 02-24-2000, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I charge my customers a flat monthly fee. They pay the same each month regardless. If I get $100.00 a month to mow three times per month during the growing months, and get $100.00 a month to mow 1 time in the winter, I think they would flip out or get rid of me if I also asked them to pay me extra because I had to clean up leaves! If you contract with or have an agreement that they will pay year round, then you know whats going to happen in the fall. Try to imagine what shape the yard will be in in the fall and winter when you calculate your bids. This is why I believe a wheel would not be effective in bidding a yard, I'm sorry I feel that way, but hey, we all have opinions. Charge them for all the crap that you know you're going to get in to and leave it at that. <p>Homer
Old 02-25-2000, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Homer,<br>I think this reflects the difference between Southern and Northern areas. We only do 8 months worth of service, if that.
Old 02-25-2000, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

You gotta know your leaves<p>Oak leaves will shread, blow wet or dry, but have a natural affinty for the inside branches of azaleas.<br>apple leaves will compact, blow wet or dry, but will always stick to the grass under the trees.<br>Tulip poplar will multiply as they are blown.<br>Beech trees and elms have more leaves per trunk diameter. they all drop within 3 days(usually the day after you did the job).<br>Willow trees are the first out in the spring and the last to fall in January.<br>Bradford pears or calliery pears in general just like to be difficult and are always planted in the most visable spot.<br>Norway maples don't like to shread, take up lots of room in the truck, blow dry, turn into giant spitballs when wet that defy being moved by a D8(in short stay home on wet days in the fall)<br>Pine neddles, Hemlock needles are alright but they like to attrack just enough leaves to themselves that constitutes you doing something about the mess.<br>Is there anything worth saying about box elders except the bugs are a wonderful source of income to your local pest control company.<br>Holly leaves fall in the spring. <br>Larch trees are spectaluclar when they turn but makes you wonder what God's intention was(NEVER,NEVER,NEVER attempt to make anything out of larch wood especially Kitchen cabinets)pretty wood though<br>Ginko's defy blowing but will rake up easy. Any attempt to handle the fruit will ensure that you have fewer friends than Larry Stone and the only animal that will approach you is a skunk in heat.<br>There are certain figs, olives, and tropical trees in the south that defy all human attemps to handle them.(Harry Truman once considered making uniforms out of them in case of nuclear attacks but gave up the idea when they couldn't find any strong enough needle and thread to put them together)<br>the perfect leaf is a Japenese Maple.<br>Enough<br>In southeastern PA, we start the bid estimation at 12 times what a normal grass cutting would be. Things to consider that subtract from this figure are tree density and tree maturity. Some of the older estates with 100 ft plus oaks and populars will actually pay in one fall cleanup, 5 years worth of grass cutting.<br>More important to consider is who's paying to dump the leaves, or will they be processed on site. Leaves are a bigger problem in the Northeast than anywhere else.