Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2000, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about running a separate phone line, but I'm debating on if I should buy into an 800#. I figure it will look a little better in the yellow pages, and be a free call to potential customers. Not to mention I plan on moving in the near future,so that causes a little problem with advertising in the phone book.<br> P.S.- Any advice or ideas would be really nice THANKS AGAIN!
Old 02-21-2000, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

We are located on the massuchusetts and connecticut border, so we use an 800# for this reason, I would say there are no downsides except for a larger phone bill, but it pays for itself with jobs we wouldn't get if we didn't have it. Tom
Old 02-21-2000, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your customer base is outside your local calling area, it makes sense.<p>There were a few guys who had one here locally. They all seem to go out of business. 800 numbers have a negative connotation in that when you call them, you don't get personalized service.<p>IMO
Old 02-22-2000, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are considering a toll free number, try www.ureach.com. They will give you a FREE toll free number. If you upgrade (which is also free) then you get your own personal 1-800 number with no extension. You can point then number in any direction; your business line for instance. And you get something like 60 minutes of free usage per month. After that it costs a little bit but it's super cheap. I've never gone over the free minutes. It's a good way to check out a toll free number with no risk and no cost. <p>Jim <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com
Old 02-23-2000, 08:45 PM
jeffclc

One thing to think about, Will you attract calls from outside your service area? THese calls will count on your bill,and also waste your valuable time.<p>Is your service area that big that your customers/potential customers are making a toll call to talk to you? If this is the case, would those dollars spent on the 800# be better spent attracting customers that are closer to you?<p>All my customers are within a local call for me. An 800 # would be nice, IF your customers are making a toll call to talk to you.<br>