Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2007, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Need HELP on 17 hp Briggs I/C motor

I have a 42inch cut Craftsman LT1000 with a Briggs 17 Hp I/C motor that I believe may have expired. I'll be checking tomorrow to see if the piston is moving. I was mowing and it suddenly began blowing oil smoke. I shut down and found that I had over filled the oil. But then after letting it cool, Draining oil to proper level, it wouldn't start back. I had difficulty getting it to shut off, It wanted to continue to run, even with key off and choke on. It finally shut off. One repair man told me to check the pushrods. I pulled the valve cover and watched the valves work as I cranked the motor, So I don't think it's the valves/rockers/or pushrods. I think started thinking it may be the timing key, so I started pulling the top of the motor apart, I got to the flywheel and the key that is visible, looked ok. My father-in-law checked the carb and ignition system. It gets gas and is getting fire to the plugs. So what do I check next? Where is a good source for a rebuild kit if I need to go that route? It's a 5 year old mower, but I can't afford to junk it and buy new. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike