Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-09-2007, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad pump or Bad Wheel Motor

Im out of warranty by about 2 months. (I only have 312 hours on the machine) My right wheel is having problems. Ive read other threads with similar problems and have checked the bypass and belts. Today I changed the fluid and filter and purged the system. Nothing seems to help. When I go full out forward on flat ground everything is OK. In reverse things seem fine but when I turn with the right it make a squilling sound and has little power. When I put the machine up agianst a solid structure and go forward the left wheel will turn the right will not. If I do the same thing in reverse both sides turn fine, If I go up my trailer ramp slow sometimes it loses power and I have to back down and go up with a bigger run.
I am 3.5 hours from the nearest dealer and capable of replacing parts. My question is: is the Hydro Pump or the wheel motor, my guess is the pump. Any suggestions would be helpful. Is there a test to know if it is the pump?Ive really liked this machine, but Ive put thousands of hours on Walkers and never a hydro problem. I hope this is something else and someone can recommend a solution and if not where can I get a replacement pump at the best price? J Thomas has them for $425 anyone know where I can get a rebuilt pump. Thanks for your time. BTW my Hustler is a Super Z.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Please e-mail me your contact information and your model and serial #.

Pj
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My guess is that it IS a belt slipping. The discharge side (right) hydro pump has a lot less belt wrap around the pump pulley.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
My guess is that it IS a belt slipping. The discharge side (right) hydro pump has a lot less belt wrap around the pump pulley.
It certainly could be.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help I tried a new belt, It was not a hustler belt but it was the same length and width..a little shorter really but it fit fine and with the self adjusting tightner it seemed good. It did not help I even tried it (and the old belt) with some belt conditioner to help stop slippage still no help. It got much worse today and I can no longer use the mower the right side barley will move, it still goes great in reverse, so I was able to get it back on the trailer to bring it home. I am prepared to buy a new pump or wheel motor what I would really like to know is a way to test this to make sure if it is the the pump or the motor any ideas? Thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Mini/super or fast track

Do you have a mini/super or fast track? the reson I ask is I have had 4 wheel motors and two hydro's on a super mini with 68 hours. The rep states it is from the wheel motors being to small to handle the baggers all day, if it is a mini I would say wheel motor all the way, put it up on a wall with both front tires on the wall, then try and go forward if you feel both tires grabbing then you are good, other wise wheel motor, when the hydro goes out you can hear the pump wine above the sound of the motor. Good luck
Old 06-23-2007, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

musselman

sorry musselman, I did not read the full tread before, my Super Mini did the same thing when the wheel motor was out, if you go in a circle one way it is two time slower then the other? right?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Musselman,
Our regional rep got a hold of you correct?

Pj
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes they got hold of me. Hustler is going to replace both the wheel motor and the pump. He thought it was the pump and said if the pump goes the motor usually does to. I go in tomorrow to get it fixed (finally its been a rough couple of weeks) I guess one of the parts was back ordered so I had to wait. Hustler went out of there way to get me fixed-up and it is much appreciated. Thanks to everyone else who offered helps also.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by musselman View Post
Yes they got hold of me. Hustler is going to replace both the wheel motor and the pump. He thought it was the pump and said if the pump goes the motor usually does to. I go in tomorrow to get it fixed (finally its been a rough couple of weeks) I guess one of the parts was back ordered so I had to wait. Hustler went out of there way to get me fixed-up and it is much appreciated. Thanks to everyone else who offered helps also.
Good to hear, glad you were taken care of.

Pj