Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Impact Wrench or not?

Managed to wack myself in the head with the rachet this weekend changing the blades. Smart move I know. I'm fine, but it's got us to talking here at work. Do you change your blades with a impacts? I've taken them off that way, but I always read to put them on with a torque wrench. I always use a big ol rachet.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a compressor and impact and use it to remove them, I put them back on with a ratchet and torque wrench.
That is what I suggest.

Pj
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant View Post
I have a compressor and impact and use it to remove them, I put them back on with a ratchet and torque wrench.
That is what I suggest.
Pj
I agree. You just cannot control the installation torque of an impact wrench with any precision unless:
(a) you have a "torque stick" made the same as the blade bolt torque
(b) you use the same impact wrench all day every day and with much experience have developed a calibrated "trigger finger"

This is one of the reasons I never take my vehicles in for even new tires... I'll always take the loose wheels in.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see the manual says to torque them to 118. Anyone really do that or just ref on em till they're tight?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a impact to remove and install my blades for the last 4 1/2 years without a single problem. You can get torque extension bars for your impact that limit the amount of torque it can impart to your fastener (common in automotive applications, mainly for installing wheel lug nuts) if your concerned about overtorquing.

Kevin
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am since I had a buddy nearly have to torch his spindle off from them being installed too tight with an impact. Maybe I'll look into the torque sticks....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

After my first experience using a torque wrench (upside down) and 2 X 4's to block the blades, I started using an impact wrench to remove and install the blades on my Fastrak 44. There's no need to lock or block the blades to keep them from turning. The impact wrench loosens and tightens them quickly and easily. I've used the wrench in combination with a 120 ft/lb "torque stick" to tighten them, however getting sufficient clearance for the impact tool and 8" long "torque stick" has been a challenge. I've been backing the mower up on a set of ramps, and using a floor jack and a 4 X 4 block of wood to lift the front in order to get the combination of wrench and stick under the mower. Anybody have an easier, quicker way to gain the needed clearance?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower For Less View Post
... You can get torque extension bars for your impact that limit the amount of torque it can impart to your fastener ...
That would be the "torque stick" I was referring to. If you could find one that was 120 ft-lbs, that'd be close enough. They're not cheap though.

I use a torque wrench. My impact will do 600 ft-lbs, I don't trust myself with it.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

impact wrench

That's all I use. I tighten on the lest selectionso not to strip a bolt. No problems.
18 ft anderson equipment lawn trailer
6x 12 dump trailer
Kubota B7800 w front end loader/and backhoe
Kawasaki weed eaters
Redmax 800 blower
John Deere 440 crawler/dozier
woods rotary mower
2006 chevy 2500 siverarado 4x4 diesel truck
Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiezNutz View Post
That would be the "torque stick" I was referring to. If you could find one that was 120 ft-lbs, that'd be close enough. They're not cheap though.

I use a torque wrench. My impact will do 600 ft-lbs, I don't trust myself with it.
Yes sorry, due to the delay between posting and when they appear due to moderator approval, I did not see your post when I made my reply. Snap on has just the "stick" you need. Here is a link to the exact item, its $35.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Also, on a technical note, just because your impact wrench is rated for 600 lbs., that dont mean it will really put 600 lbs on it. My Ingersoll Rand impact wrench is one of the best 1/2" drive impacts you can get, and it is rated 400 lbs forward and 600 lbs reverse. However, if I run a bolt down and let it keep beating on it until it absolutely does not get any tighter, I highly doubt there will be any more than 200 ft. lbs. of ACTUAL torque on that fastener. And I have a 3/4" drive snap-on torque wrench with a dial that reads torque in both directions up to 600 ft. lbs, so I can easily check that and verify it. I can also attest to I used to work in a shop where we used 3/4" drive impact wrenches rated at 1200 ft. lbs. forward torque, and we assembled a component that needed to be torqued at 400 ft. lbs. We would beat them with the impact, and when we put the real torque wrench on them, we would always get a little more movement before it clicked, they were probably about 300-350 ft. lbs. off the impact alone. Its kind of like in the olden days when auto manufacturers used to pick their own horsepower ratings before standards were imposed.

Kevin