Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2000, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Say if it rains in the morning and then it clears up around noon does anybody go out and mow? If you do what about your help? Haven't you already sent them home because of the rain?
Old 02-21-2000, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i live in florida so sometimes i have to mow in the rain, as for help i am the help, some people sometimes say they heard you cant mow wet grass, i am sure its a little harder on the mower but in the summer the grass pretty much stays wet(the morning dew, the afternoon shower, irrigation) if i only mowed dry grass i would only be mowing 15-29 hours a week, and never some weeks, as far as it hurting the grass i have no idea i just get my blower oul and spread out the clumps if there are any
Old 02-21-2000, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lee as far as your Question goes i have found that as soon as the pavement is dry the yards are ready to be mowed after a rain the grass is no worse then heavy dew that u get early in the mornings.I work alone so i am not sure how i would handle that Mayby you could page them on a pager when it dries up on those rain days that dont last to long
Old 02-21-2000, 03:18 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I watch the weather channel and check that<br>web site about 7am. If I can get a 3 hour<br>window before the front arrives I will go out to mow but will stay close to home.<p>Once it starts raining I am done for the<br>day (belt drive machines)and I go back to my garage and pressure wash, sharpen, and grease<br>all the machines I have used for the past few days. Then I set up whatever size machines on the trailer that I will need to<br>perform the next days work.<p>Once I get rained out I am done for the day<br>and I don't return to the field until the<br>next day.<br>
Old 02-21-2000, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Lawnworker and when the pavement is drying up you can go out and cut again. Another thing you can do is look at radar for your particular area. This is the web site I use for this. You can get a location close to you. Check out http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/UnitedStates/Midwest/Michigan/TraverseCity/Radar/ as I say this is the location that works for me you would have to change the settings for your location but you can see the rain coming or if you need an update call into the office and have someone give you an update. I use this for snow to see what is coming as well. You could also tell if you are going to be rained out for the rest of the day.<p>----------<br>Brian <p><p>
Old 02-21-2000, 04:31 PM

If the rain stops early enough in the morning in the summer time. I will go cut int the afternoon. Here the ground dries out quickly as long as we have not had a flooding rain. I will cut some commercial properties that perfection is not important when they are wet. I usually schedule those properties for in the morning too when there is a heavy due or it has rained the night or day before. I watch the weather channel and if rain is close by 30 min away. I will start properties that are close to my home. And quit when it start rain heavily. I don't trust the weather mans forcast enough to make me stay home completely. My motto is &quot;I believe it when I see it&quot;. I never start cutting grass in the rain. But i could see why you would do it in Fla.
Old 02-21-2000, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of companies here just keep right on mowing, especially on commercial properties. We used to stop for the day most of the time when it rained, but now that we service over 200 properties we can't afford to. Once the heavy rains let up we'll start cutting again as soon as it seems dry enough. This can be almost immediately in the middle of the summer, but in early spring when the ground is already holding alot of water the downtime can be significantly longer. We try to keep our blades as sharp as possible and will use our backpack blowers to break up any wet clumps of grass on the lawn that might be left when cutting still-wet grass. Residential customers don't appreciate cutting in the rain, so we try to avoid it as much as possible. As for employees, if the delay is more than an hour the clock stops as far a pay goes. We pay our guys well and treat them with respect so they don't mind if we stop the clock for an hour or so. Besides, they make it up when we have to cut longer into the evening in order to get caught back up anyway.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>