Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2001, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Help swapping 16HP engine to 20-25HP

I have a 52 inch Wright Stander. I would like to upgrade my 16HP recoil Briggs vanguard with 1 inch shaft and alternator, 1000 hours to something in the 20-25 HP range. Here are my possible swaps. 18HP Briggs recoil will swap with no modifications at all, my last resort if nothing else will work as Iwould like more power, $750. 20HP Briggs 1 inch shaft electric start, Can I convert this to recoil and if so will it have an alternator and will the wiring work,$900. Kohler 20HP 1 inch shaft electric has 3amp or 15 amp alternator, can I convert this to recoil, $850. Kawaski 19 HP 1 inch shaft electric, can I convert this to recoil and will it have an alternator, $995. These next 2 engines have 1 1/8 inch shaft so I don't know if they will work with the pulley. My wright stander was and is available with the 23 Kaw and 22 Kohler but in the parts manual it only lists the pulley with a 1 inch shaft, will the 1 1/8 work or are these engines avilable with 1 inch shafts. Kohler 22 ES 3 or 15 amp alternator, 1 1/8 shaft, $1025. Kaw 23 1 1/8 shaft ES, does this have an alternator, $1,300. If anyone can answer any of my many questions it would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have time and anything is possible. You can get pulleys from other sources if the the 1 1/8" shaft size is not available from the OEM source. As far as recoil, I'm assuming you are talking about rope starters. If so, on the larger engine they are usually not available. It would be like kick starting a large street motorcycle, next to impossible and if it would backfire it would rip your hand off. Also depending on the actual mounting of the engine might require some major modifications to frame to be able to handle the actual size and horsepower.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 10-25-2001, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is it avertical shaft engine?

1970 Chevrolet C20

My equipment:

1984 22" Yazoo BigWheel 5hp B&S I/C
1993 38" Craftsman rider 12.5hp B&S I/C
2004 Craftsman 17" gas weed-wacker
2004 Craftsman gas blower
1982 Trim-All edger 2hp B&S
1990's Stihl 009L, 14" bar
1964 McCulloch 250, 20" bar
Old 10-26-2001, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand why you want a pull start if you want a charging circuit equipted engine? I would think the Briggs 18 would be the fastest and cheapest way to go. Have you checked to see if your current engine is running at it's rated rpm's? I have seen many new engines running 2 to 400 rpm's less than it's rated for.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Check if the linkages will work on the newer engines. A modification to those alone can make a nightmare out of your conversion. Look at linkage direction(push or pull), linkage travel, cable lengths, and if throttle and choke are actuated by one or two cables.
Look at the countours of the deck. It may interfere with the newer engine. Check muffler location, oil fill and drain, dipstick placement etc...
If you need the alternator to power some lights you need to have a battery. Without one you might overload the alternator if you are not careful about amperage draw.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

The linkage cable will be no problem I can put a different one on, its easy I've got a scag cable on my wright stander right now anyways. The alternator is I believe so I can run the electrical clutch. A vertical engine. I pretty much want to put the 20 HP Vanguard on. My owners manual says the 20 HP Vanguard is available with recoil/electric. I think it would be way to hard to rig up a whole Electric start system, hence the recoil. I can't imagine it being hard to pull, My 16HP Briggs I pull very easily with my left arm(I'm right handed). Does anyone out there have a Vanguard 20HP recoil?
Old 10-28-2001, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

If it is an easy swap, got for it. Just make sure everything lines up, fits right ,etc.... You dont want to get half way through a swap and realize a couple of hundred bucks later it wont work.
An electric start would be a luxury on that size mower any way. It would be someting else to go wrong. If it doesnt make that much of a difference to you.