Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

John Deere Z-Trak Kanzaki Pump

Hey all you Z-Trak guys. Ever had any issues with the double pump/single body Kanzaki pumps? Did it cost an arm and a leg to replace? In general how does everyone feel about these things?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Q
Old 07-17-2007, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased six ztrak 777's this year and have had all of them in atleast once for new pumps. As well as a few of the loaners we had while the others we being worked on. The pumps were initially going out within 200 hours, after replacements were put in it has been as soon as 25 hours. This design is flawed, and the only suggestion the tech at the dealership has is to run them at half speed up hills to reduce the stress. Each mower does between 10-20 acres a day, half speed is not an option. Until they get rid of the Kanzaki pump I would steer clear of the ztraks.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes, $650 for the pump, $600 labor, just had one replaced on my new z-trac under warranty, first one wasn't.

1st pump had a "casting burr" fall off, and went through the pump and valves, and destroyed the valve plate, but needed a whole new pump because single parts can't be replaced, just the whole unit.....altough way out of warranty deere paid for the pump, they would've paid for labor but i took it elsewhere.

second machine had a wheel motor go bad, they replaced the pump also, don't know why, don't care, i got a new one.

i wish there were 2 individual pumps, maybe the cost would be less. the new style motors don't even have fans on them, i'm not sold on that idea.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertguy31 View Post
I purchased six ztrak 777's this year and have had all of them in atleast once for new pumps. As well as a few of the loaners we had while the others we being worked on. The pumps were initially going out within 200 hours, after replacements were put in it has been as soon as 25 hours. This design is flawed, and the only suggestion the tech at the dealership has is to run them at half speed up hills to reduce the stress. Each mower does between 10-20 acres a day, half speed is not an option. Until they get rid of the Kanzaki pump I would steer clear of the ztraks.

my first one was a 2004 model after 450 hours, second was a 2006 with 85 hours.... they questioned my problem, but then called back and asked to get it in to fix asap, i later found out they had other calls with the same problem and they just got to it before it got worse.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I got 2 757's and have well over 1200 hrs on each with absolutely no pump or drive problems. 647a has had no drive problems with around 500 hrs. The Knazaki pumps do not have to be purchased through a Deere dealer. You can order the pumps and parts direct. Yes, they can be rebuilt. I asked the manufacturer. $600 for labor, I'd take somehwere else, not that long of a job. You are getting soaked.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 07-17-2007, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertguy31 View Post

I don't believe you. You are either lying or really abuse your equipment.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

If I was lying or abusing the equipment they would not be replacing every pump under warranty, and giving us two brand new loans to keep at our shop so they have more time to work on the others as they have problems. Maybe it isn't the pump and they just are putting bad service into the mowers as they "replace" them. Either way there have been way too many issues with the pumps for this fanless, single pump to be a good idea. Do you have one or an older model with the two seperate pumps?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i find it hard to believe that you have had that many go bad.whats the chance of that.thats like a 18 wheeler having 16 flats at one time.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

No one has been more surprised than myself. I don't want to sit and bash JD products or service, the mowers are great except for the pumps in my opinion. We do run them hard, the six are out every day for a 310 acre contract. My arguement is simply that it is a bad design for a heavy duty commercial mower. It has gotten to the point on two of the mowers that the plastic hydrolic tank has been so hot it started to melt. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or 16 of 18 wheels falling off to figure out there is a problem with the design being able to hold up under stress. I guess I could by six more and only run them for 6 hours a day, but that defeats the purpose of getting new mowers.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
I got 2 757's and have well over 1200 hrs on each with absolutely no pump or drive problems. 647a has had no drive problems with around 500 hrs. The Knazaki pumps do not have to be purchased through a Deere dealer. You can order the pumps and parts direct. Yes, they can be rebuilt. I asked the manufacturer. $600 for labor, I'd take somehwere else, not that long of a job. You are getting soaked.

i haven't had any problems with my stander, as for the pump we called the company, called deere, and they all said no parts, just pumps, if you can show me otherwise, please do so, it will save me money in the future. as for getting soaked, unless your mechanic charges $10 an hour, 40-50 an hour adds up quick. so sit down and figure up hour long it would take to tear a pump out and repalce it, along with draining all the hydro oil, and opening up both wheel motors to be sure there weren't any "burrs" floating around in them too. i haven't met a fast mechanic yet.

i'm glad you haven't had any problems, i am a firm believer in deere equipment, and i see you are too ,but believe it or not, even john deeres break down. somone asked a question, and he got a couple answers, no ones bashing deere or anything, these things happen, what would fertguy have to gain by lying about his breakdowns?

fetguy, all the 757's have had single "stacked" pumps. 2 pumps, same housing. whether these other guys want to hear it or not, yes these machines do break, i had a very simliar problem, as did other local guys. my 2004 model was definietly the better pump of the 2. good luck