Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-15-2007, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

New super z with xr-7 60" deck, tares up ground in the middle of deck.

I bought a new super z a few weeks ago. I like the mower and deck but the deck seems to break ground in the middle of the deck, even mowing high sometimes. I know that uneven ground will make it scalp, and thats normal, but instead of scalping it will make two good size trenchs in the ground instead of scalp. so i looked under the deck and sure enough the two bolt on deck baffles towards the back of the deck are slightly lower than everything else. is that normal? it seems like they should be the same hight as the rest of the deck. also right behind the baffles there is two spots in the middle that have the same three hole pattern for scalp wheels. it looks like you could put two more scalp wheels under the deck behind the baffles.

any info would be appricated, i think this is not normal at all. my guess is the baffles should have been bolted on a little higher or the baffles should only be installed with the other two scalp wheels.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those rear baffles should not be a issue, they are the rear blade wrap baffles, they have to be low to contain the clippings and airflow in the rear of the deck.
You can add 2 wheels in the rear center under the deck, that is why we put those sets of holes there.
Those 2 locations are there for our customers that need to add them for hilly or really uneven conditions.
Where are your current scalp wheels bolted?

Pj
Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

my anti scalp wheels are bolted high right now. but its the middle of the deck that i have the problems, and yes on uneven ground. I have been using three different mowers on teh same properties and none do this. I had another friend of mine that mows a lot more than i do, he owns two 60" bunton mowers, use my hustler because one of his mowers broke down, and he said the same thing, it would tear up ground instead of the normal scalping.

so you think adding wheels is teh way to go? i don't want to tear up 2 " deep lines in a yard instead of the normal scalping from the blades just because of a mistake in hight or uneven ground judgment. usually if you don't lift the deck intime you scalp it down and next week it will be growing again. as it is right now, if i dont rais the deck enough, i'll have to hop off the mower and try to patch the ground back together.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Add the wheels and get your other wheels bolted in the middle to low position and watch your ground.
You are running with a mower with a longer deck design, I think that is what your not used to.
Try mowing in some different patterns also, this may stop it from happening.

Pj