Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-27-2001, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

leaf box

i was wondering if anybody in CT would know anybody that would be willing to build a leaf box on my dump trailer. sure, i know some people are going to write in and tell me i should make it myself, but i want something that is going to last a long time and done professionally. if anybody knows somebody who does that sort of thing or is, please let me know.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:38 PM
Banned

I would think that if you go to a welding shop nearby they would do it for you. There is a place out by me. Somewhere in the area of about a 1 - 1 1/2 hr drive that would do it, and do it well.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

MDB,

What about going to a metal supply place, Getting yourself a few sheets of 1/16 or 1/8th inch diamond plate aluminum , and some aluminum angle iron ( or steel ) and making the coolest looking one on the block. DOnt' have to worry about rust and can make it bolt together so it's easier to store in the off season and growing season.. Just an idea, When I need to get one , that's probably along the lines of what I'll do.. Most guys around here just make these cheesy plywood boxes that look like they will fly off at any time...
Old 10-28-2001, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

ive seen a really nice metal one that a local fab shop made, but it costs a lot of $. plus, im not too crafty in that area. im looking for a real nice wood one, that i can just bolt on and slide off in one piece. i want to stain it up, so it will last a little longer.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well if you want the wood deal....

You should look up your local carpenter. Maybe if your looking to save $ an old timer handyman just working to keep busy.

Are you a little late for the leaf loading business?
Old 10-28-2001, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Guido's got the right idea.

In our area in our local newspaper, there is a section called the Service Directory. There are a few older guys that are retired and are handy that advertise for some work to keep them busy. They aren't in a rush, and I believe they would do a good job.

Btw Guido, there's always next season
Old 10-28-2001, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yeh, i realize im a little late this season, but i found a good deal on a leaf loader, so if i can find somebody to build me a box fairly quickly, i figure i can have it for the rest of the season.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw the perfect setup the other day.. Check this out.. A mason dump with high wooden sides, Then some sort of arched steel braces going over the top, then a custom fitted Mesh type tarp, and the leaf vac on back.. Nice, and compact when not in use for storage.... Thought it was a great idea...
Old 11-02-2001, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I was down in SOUTHBURY today at the SOUTHFORD GARAGE (commercial truck equipment retailer/ installer) looking at plows. While I was there, they pulled out a customers truck (I know, you have a dump trailer..but this would be an easy retrofit) and it had a new leafbox on it. It looked like it was made of corragated steel roofing panels just bolted together. the top was just a canvas tarp with a couple of small cross bows for support. It was painted GLOSS BLACK and it just looked like the perfect set-up. Here's there website if it helps! http://www.southfordgarage.com GOOD LUCK!

P.S. I'm glad I MULCH!