Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You got it. You put that filter fabric there and you will lose NO sand. Remember your border"soldier" bricks will be thicker to make up the difference between you field 2 3/8" brick and 3/4" sand.

Creative Hardscapes
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

The sketch I drew didn't show it, but I am using 4x8 clay pavers (2 1/4 thick, no lugs, Glen-Gery 26-HB). My plan previously was to bed the border course (soldier) in mortar which would elevate it enough to allow for a 1/2 - 3/4" sand bed in the field. Weep holes in the mortar bed every 4 bricks. Using "glue" I suppose I could lay the border course on edge (soldier or double sailor) but that means a 1 3/4" sand bed. On the other hand, this path slopes quite a bit, with steps on either end, and I still worry about sand washout along the run. The joint sand in the sloping path I did in the backyard has mostly washed out to the face of the pavers on the downhill side. Granted the joints are a little on the big side and filled with concrete sand, (this is before I leared about poly-sand from folks @this site). I'll be re-laying this in the fall or spring with tighter joints and poly-sand.

Then again I may just wet-lay the whole thing. Thanks for all your hints.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do not know why you guys are worried about sand wash out? If you are so worried, glue the boarder on then put some concrete on the outside of it.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Placing Paver over existing concrete

Thank you for the replies and ideas. SenatorCongessman made a great sketch. I actually have to extend one area about 10 more feet and make a small wall. I will use the glue method as detailed in the sketch.

Do you think my quote of $8.50-$9.00 is fair? This will be a great job for October.