Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Building next to a swale - need some help!

This is a simple little paver job, raised on one side. 120 sf landing off the deck steps to replace that ugly wood tie box. The backyard beyond shoots straight up at 45 degrees. The yard swales just beyond where the landing would be. I'm concerned with the water runoff from the hill and the neighbors property running along the underside of the base for the wall that would be raising the one side.

Any advice on this one? Any precautions needed, or is this nothing to worry about? I did a forum search, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Adam
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2007, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't make another landing there. I would just make a walkway from the end of the steps to the driveway.

If they want a landing, dig down, level it out, put run off pipe where the water will hit it (buried with agg on top of it) so it won't wash out. lay the bricks and be done. I would also make a walkway from it to the driveway.

Man that current landing is ugly!

Enjoy!

==Abe
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

THATS UGLY! I agree with landing & path. They have a nice home + new lexus= propose that idea.
Good Luck
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, whats the landing to be used for? Is it a resting spot for climbing up those steep steps?- or is it a place to BBQ and/or sit?

You could build a wall and create a landing on top. You need to definitely start below the swale and work your way up. I would propose to re-design those steps too. They look about 12" of rise.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionLS View Post
First of all, whats the landing to be used for? Is it a resting spot for climbing up those steep steps?- or is it a place to BBQ and/or sit?

You could build a wall and create a landing on top. You need to definitely start below the swale and work your way up. I would propose to re-design those steps too. They look about 12" of rise.
Ideally they hoped to have a spot to either move the grill down or put a little table and chairs. The bottom riser is quite steep, but the rest are less than 8".

My initial thoughts were to build a small wall into the existing grade, similar to the ugly tie wall, and throw some pavers on top. The homeowner eventually wants to do a walkway off of the landing to the driveway, but he needs to get his driveway extended first.

When you say start below the swale, do you mean with the base? I'm worried about runoff undercutting the wall. As you see in the pics, if I build the landing straight off of the side of the dec, I'll be right in the bottom of the swale. Would it make more sense to shrink the landing and put some space between the swale and my work? Keep in mind the hill behind their house is 150' up and all that water, plus the runoff from the neighbor's house cuts through their back yard.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Start your wall block below grade at the lowest point of the swale. Don't just cut into the existing slope. You could still add a walkway, and just have it end where the driveway currently is. You can always add on.