Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2007, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Advice.

I have about 100 accounts that I mow weekly for a property management company. Next year I want to hire 2 guys to do this for me so I can go out and build up my clients. What I need to know is what do you guys think would be the best truck/trailer combo would be best. All they would have would be a 36' wb, 21'push, trimmer, edger, blower, and accessories. I was thinking of a F150 with a landscape bed on it. Reason being I wouldnt like the guys pulling a trailer. So any suggestions would be nice.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I might go for something a little bigger then an f150. I don't know what a landscape body weighs, but i know its going to have to eat up some of your gvwr. Mebe a 250, or 350 chassis cab, give you room to expand later to a Z or something.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

This setup will be just for these 100 accounts. I want the most efficent setup.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was told to put in a good 2, but really 4-5 years solo before thinking of expanding, something about this whole setup sounds of trouble brewing, not the least of which could be the 100 accounts... But I don't know, you might be on to something, still I honestly believe you need 2 years under your belt so you have the answers to ALL or at least most of the questions, that's for starters.

I am now in my 6th year and I LOL when I think of hiring someone, let alone two, nevermind leaving them on their own, and for a 1-2 year old business, no way... This simply isn't the kind of thing you can hand the keys to someone and wish them good luck.

I just noticed it appears all your 100 accounts are under one roof, what would happen if you got kicked out of that?
It could be you're just extremely fortunate and nothing funny ever comes your way, but that would be unusual.
You do as you like, but I highly recommend some time, so you have the experience you'll need to control the bs.

Last edited by topsites; 08-11-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice. I was just wanting some ideas. I am going to try and do them on my own. the reason i wanted someone to help with them is so i can go get clients outside of those 100. but since i am totally full with those, i cant. i need more time. i have not even advertised yet cause i can handle anymore work.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Lawn View Post
thanks for the advice. I was just wanting some ideas. I am going to try and do them on my own. the reason i wanted someone to help with them is so i can go get clients outside of those 100. but since i am totally full with those, i cant. i need more time. i have not even advertised yet cause i can handle anymore work.
i ment to say i cant handle anymore work with night school and all...and having someone do atleast half would help
Old 08-11-2007, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I pull a 16 ft trailer 1 exmark 52" 1 Quick 36, 1 murry 48" weedeaters blowers and such, wiht a 93 F150 it has 200,000 miles and I run the ac all the time.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

what brand is a quick 36"?
21" 190cc Craftsman Mower
Stihl FS80R
Stihl BG85
Old 08-12-2007, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

It is made by Better Outdoor Products in North Carolina...single hydro walk behind mower. There are no dealers, so you have to have faith and buy direct - sight unseen (unless someone in your area has one you can try). I could have sworn I saw someone from Texas on here selling theirs; it was in almost new condition.

I bought one at the beginning of June and love it. I do, at times, wish it was a dual hydro, as that would be easier to maneuver on uneven terrain/hills/slopes; however, overall I am satisfied with my decision. ...And my dad and I are trying to come up with some sort of brake configuration so I don't have to muscle as much to keep a straight line on side slopes.

As for service, BOP is great!! When I ordered my 16hp KAW Quick 36, UPS (my other source of employment) lost it!!!! Can you believe that?!?! It has since been found. However, in the interim, BOP didn't sit around waiting for UPS to pull its head out of the ground; they set up a whole new mower and shipped it out right away via another carrier (I refuse to say which, because I am still loyal to my UPS ). I didn't actually end up getting my Quick until mid-June, and because it was sooooo close to July and because I had to deal with the whole shipping fiasco, BOP extended the 50% off accessories w/mower purchase offer to me...even though I had already bought and used my mower. As such, I was able to buy the new fold-up step saver. Those are just two examples of good business and great service exhibited by Gary Patridge (BOP owner) and his crew...

1994 GMC 3500HD dump truck * 1980 Dodge Ram 200HD (~21,000 ORIGINAL miles!!) * Haulmark 7X16 enclosed trailer w/built-in shelves * Exmark 27hp 60" Lazer Z w/QDS, TT blade blocker, Jrco 60" dethatcher, Jrco aerator * BOP 16hp 36" Quick 36 Samurai w/fold-up step saver, mulch kit, Accelerator catcher * Honda 21" HRX217HXA * 2 Echo line trimmers * Echo PAS w/edger, articulating hedge clipper, brush cutter attachments * Echo hedge clipper * Echo rototiller head * Echo backpack blower
Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

'advanced irrigation' in Texas is/was selling a 2007 16hp Quick 36 Samurai with landscaper pro pack...said he was willing to drive, too (for the sale). If interested, do a search on him or Quick 36.

1994 GMC 3500HD dump truck * 1980 Dodge Ram 200HD (~21,000 ORIGINAL miles!!) * Haulmark 7X16 enclosed trailer w/built-in shelves * Exmark 27hp 60" Lazer Z w/QDS, TT blade blocker, Jrco 60" dethatcher, Jrco aerator * BOP 16hp 36" Quick 36 Samurai w/fold-up step saver, mulch kit, Accelerator catcher * Honda 21" HRX217HXA * 2 Echo line trimmers * Echo PAS w/edger, articulating hedge clipper, brush cutter attachments * Echo hedge clipper * Echo rototiller head * Echo backpack blower