Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Pricing?

I know some of you guys here do nice work and I am sure are compensated well. My question is how much above your costs arte you all getting. I have almost completed my first retaining wall and I am having trouble finding a happy medium to charge. The customer is basically said I know it wont be cheap just do it and send me the bill. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you should not operate like that, your just playing with fire and waiting to get burned, you should have discussed price and given him a written estimate followed up with a signed contract before you even started the wall, then you wouldnt be asking this question.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks but that does not help any. I need not to get burned this is my first hardsape project and it has turned out well. So help a fellow landscaper out.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Figure your direct overhead........monthly expenses.

Then figure, realisticly, what equipment you plan/need to purchase in the future and add that into your overhead.

Once you know what it costs for you to say you're in business each day you will see what you need to charge on a daily basis.

Also, probably nobody is going to tell you how much money they are making on a job. Everybody's overhead is different and its most often not understood because most people are blind.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to make $45-40 per man hour on all my projects to cover overhead and make a profit, + any direct costs related to the job (gas,materials,deliveries,paint,strings wear and tear on diamond blade, etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help
Old 08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok so you must have a running tally of all your expenses and I assume that you have a total of the hours that you have worked on this project correct, do you have any employees or did you have paid help? take everything and ad it together then double it taking into acount what you would pay yourself per hour, is that enough money for you to feel good about if not triple it, hows that? keep the formula simple this time and just make some money but next time figure out what you need as a contractor to make as we are all different. Take into acount things like insurance and equipment and help ect. .....you'll figure it out.

Last edited by richallseasons; 08-12-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: ad