The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2001, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theleven
BEFORE I work for them .....I ask 3 simple questions

How did you here of us?

Have you ever had a professional lawn service n if yes was it year round n what did they do or not do to make you look at us?

Do you want monthly service based on a yearly agreement?

Then we get into specifics of our service, billing etc. .....there are street loads of people that will let go in winter

Be careful of the ones without irrigation n those that are NOT St. Augustine ….look at the general property BEFORE you start …..is the edging tight ….is the house clean …. Is there junk everywhere …..is it a dirt lot

Hang in there it gets better after the first winter n if they call back in spring jack the price up ;->
Thank you. Thank you. That's exactly what I want to hear.
I KNOW I'm new AND my customers know I'm new. That attracts the people who other companies DON'T want. I'll be the first to admit that people take advantage of me and I am vulnerable (being desparate to get work).
Old 10-31-2001, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

Thank you. Thank you. That's exactly what I want to hear.
I KNOW I'm new AND my customers know I'm new. That attracts the people who other companies DON'T want. I'll be the first to admit that people take advantage of me and I am vulnerable (being desparate to get work).

Wow!!! Your above statement has to be the most honest post that I have read. You have my upmost respect Sir.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you are being honest with yourself, but...

losing customers is part of our business. do a good job, respect your customers, and you will minimize your cancellations.

you sound quite bitter over the ordeal. you have lost a significant portion of your customer base so something is wrong. have you worked in the industry before? do you know what acceptable standards are?

are you younger? this could be part of the reason people seem to be so quick to drop you.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-06-2001, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

theleven has good advice.

I ask why they want a landscaper, and if they have an idea what things should cost. I also ask people who have had a pro before what caused them to call somebody else. Sometimes they're fishing for a cheaper price, or want a cheaper price to try to get their guy to come down some. If they hem and haw, you may not be getting straight answers. If they seem to be a bit on the anal retentive side, I factor that into price (meaning higher).

This type of thing is why I don't use 12 month billing for residential clients. What can you do if after you do all the work, they decide to cancel and still owe you money? It can be hard to get it from them.

On the whole you can expect to lose some. Usually it's because you either did something wrong, didn't do something, or they just can't afford it. BTW, a lot of the people who can't afford it will call in the summer when it gets hot and fire you when they can take the weather.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA