Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

How Much $$$$

Let's say a solo operator, or even kick in a weed eater/helper man, if you cut 12 properties 5 days a week at $40.00 a piece, providing in doesnt rain; that's $480.00 a day, minus the helpers $120.00 bucks and your $60.00 gas expenditures, not to mention your insurance, or lack of, the wear and tear/depreciation on your equipment at best leaves you holding less than $300.00 a day at best. If you could keep that up 40 weeks of the year you'd make $60,000.00 a year, but what's the chance of that ever happening? Am i missing something? How can you make a livable income from just cutting grass ? Is it possible ??? I want to make it work, just can't figure where the " BIG MONEY " is.............
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You won't find big money in cutting grass. With the influx in cheap labor and increased competition it will become harder and harder to make any money doing this work.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area, mowing 20 properties per day with one helper @ $32 per property for 32 weeks per year is very doable. Actually, those numbers are conservative.

That puts you at just over 100K per year gross. I think that a person could realistically do a little better than that.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your only bet is to get bigger paying accounts or to add more profitable services.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

You have to have more services, I have a full fertilizing program, insect control, Aeration/seed, lime mowing & some snow plowing, thats how u make big money....but you have to spend big money to make big money.
HYDRALIC DECK LIFT
ROPS
FLEX FORKS
STRIPING ROLLER
POWERED OCDC (POWER CHUTE DESIGN)
SUSPENSION SEAT
36" TRIMSTAR HYDRO
(2) 261T ECHO TRIMMERS
(1) ECHO 755H BACK PACK BLOWER
(2) PB 251 HAND HELD BLOWERS
LESCO 200gal FIBERGLASS SPRAY SYSTEM
LESCO 80 LB. SPREADER
16' LOAD-MASTER TRAILER W/ATTACHMENTS
(2) 2007 RYAN AERATORS (BIG & SMALL)
[B](1) 36" & 48" L.T Rich Z-core aerator w/attachments
Old 08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep em coming

Very good come backs, helping me work out the demons in my head, it's lot to think a bought, a lot to consider. This is all good advise. Thanks for the help..............
Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushHawG View Post
Let's say a solo operator, or even kick in a weed eater/helper man, if you cut 12 properties 5 days a week at $40.00 a piece, providing in doesnt rain; that's $480.00 a day, minus the helpers $120.00 bucks and your $60.00 gas expenditures, not to mention your insurance, or lack of, the wear and tear/depreciation on your equipment at best leaves you holding less than $300.00 a day at best. If you could keep that up 40 weeks of the year you'd make $60,000.00 a year, but what's the chance of that ever happening? Am i missing something? How can you make a livable income from just cutting grass ? Is it possible ??? I want to make it work, just can't figure where the " BIG MONEY " is.............
Nobody makes 'Big Money' working solo or with one employee. You can make a decent living with it that way. You get out of it what you put into it. You CAN make a lot of money mowing lawns, but nothing is a given or guaranteed. You have to be a good businessman and manager of people.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doing it by yourself is profitable but not economic. You have to bill for the work of others in order to make a decent living. Volume is what will make you wealthy and you can't do it all by yourself.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The "big money" may be with several employees and a few mowing rigs, but so are the big headaches. There are two companies that I work with on a regular basis, both have played the big card, around here that's 10 employees or so, and they are both back to themselves and a helper. Not becuase of failure or lack of managerial ability, simply because they themselves are both taking home more money. They are working harder, but are making a lot more in the end. I can run a $700 gross mowing day pretty easy when the grass is all growing. Mowing is my bread and butter, but my fert/squirt side pays some really nice what is gravy money now, but will hopefully become a bigger part of the whole income picture soon. Side jobs, like tree/shrub trimming and mulch also make me a lot of money. Residential is nice because if you develope a strong working relationship with a client, they will usually be reluctant to leave for a cheaper bid, however this year I have found some very good money in the full service accounts, and also with property managment companies. When I was in high school I grossed close to 30K between the spring of my junior year and january 1 of my senior year, and this was very very part time then, like 1 or 2 days a week tops during football season, a little more during the spring and summer. I plan to stay small, at most three employees plus myself, that's what looks like will work for me, but my market may be a lot different from yours too.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Member

If I am just in high school, how many clients do you think I can manage without it being too overwhelming? I have been doing lawn care for a while, but I want to get a lot more clients with my own equipment now, so like how many clients do you think I can have and still do school at the same time? Also, how much money do you think I will be able to bring in?