Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2001, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Why don't you tell me then? I am not here to debate on Cation Exchange Capacities or Organic Matter or Friggin sandy Soils. You Tell Me. I always want more knowledge.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I suggest that you refer to "The Nature and Properties of Soils" 13th Edition. Pg. 345-408. But please advise me on this matter!!
Old 10-31-2001, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solaras

Ok you have proven to me that you have a back ground. So lets stop the pissing match. However Lime is not the way to go in calacious sand. Calious Sand parent material is coral shell therefore it is in fact Dolimite. To lime it would kill everything.

Black layer is the a sub soil layering effect normally cause by over application of sulfur to lower pH.

This is my last post on the subject and I owe you a real apology so please accept it. LOL

Ric
I can't spelllll but 2+2=5
Old 10-31-2001, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I owe you an apology as well. As I got deeper into my text I found that this type of soil is pretty alkaline and yeah, I have to agree with you that Lime would definitly do some damage. Thanks for the lesson. Good thing I hung on to this book.

I assume that you are located in the Key's.

As for black layer. I don't run into that much.

Good Night
Old 11-03-2001, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

both of you guys dont know crap about marketing still .i recently did some direct mail which work out nice .flyers always work great.pole signs.penny saver ,newspaper,biz cards,go to all your shopping centers through up your flyers or biz cards,door to door,ask customers for referals,run coupon ads ,signs for your truck i still need this one.but first need a new truck,sign on your trailer,if you do landscaping put a sign of your companys name in one of there beds,i feel doorb to door worksthe best but is very t6ime consuming this is my first real year in the business szo i still learning hope this helps
Old 11-03-2001, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ron

Thanks for your reply and yes I will agree with you I am not a marketing genus. The other night I read two posts from members in the St Pete Fla. area. One was asking for help through the winter and the other was this thread. I was tired but posted a reply that I though would help both of them. At the end of my one finger hunt and peck I caught an attitude and the above p-ing match started. I would like to extend My apology to solaras to all the member of lawnsite. We are all here to help ourselves by helping each other. A little dig now and again won't hurt if we all know it is meant in good fun. I over stepped that boundary and I am sorry about that now. You have offered good advise Thanks and may you always be health wealth and wise.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

What works for me:

1. Target areas you service or want to service with flyers, door to door or on mail box.

2. Mail postcards to res. or comm. properties where it is impossible to hand deliver. InfoSystems mailing list works great for this and is worth the money

3. Solicit existing customers as Jim lewis stated above. "Give" your customers some discount for referralls.

4. Put signage on your truck, trailer and have company shirt, sweatshirt, jacket etc.

I have used radio, newspaper, coupon mailers, yellow pages and the like...but have found this shotgun method is expensive and has low returns. Better to target exactly who and what you want.

Old 11-04-2001, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with tpirobert and wish to elaborate on that localized approach that he was explaining. The small local newspaper is a good place to advertise. Placing an ad in the Homeowner's association newsletter for the subdivision that you want to target can be very effective. Often the ads are only a few dollars and people read the newsletter and appreciate that businesses are supporting their subdivision's newsletter. Another way to get exposure in an area is to volunteer for a local clean-up day at the park or school near-by. Make sure your truck has signs, you are friendly and pass out those business cards.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I can add to Lanelle's post about volunteering...

Make sure the task you are volunteering for is well-defined, with clear start and end points. Like a clean-up DAY, a help-the-elderly DAY, etc. A few years ago I volunteered our services to install some engraved brick paving at a local park, in association with a very large mfg and a municipality that were installing some brand new playground equipment. I ended up doing 3 designs for 100 sqft of brick.

During the installation most of the people who would benefit from the park improvements were rude, and what's more we got called back 2 additional times just to pull a few non-engraved brick and replace with engraved.

And as a final kick in the teeth the day I was there I swallowed a bee and it stung me halfway down my throat.

It was a colossal waste of time. About 40 hours, all told. Didn't generate a single lead, let alone new biz.

The volunteer work my company does now is on my terms, sponsored by my company, and I handle all press releases, etc.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

We cut back on print advertising and do odd volunteer jobs that get posted in our town newspaper, and church bulletins.