Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Z is blowing oil from under the Recoil area. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I was mowing with my Hustler Z and I heard a pop. I stopped the machine and noticed the oil dip stick pop out. At the time it had a good oil level but when I was finish cutting I checked it and she was bone dry. I put oil back in her and fired it up and thats when I noticed oil spewing from the recoil area. Has anyone had this problem or know what it might be? I am hoping it is something as simple as a seal went bad. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What engine is it ? Model and spec numbers ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
What engine is it ? Model and spec numbers ?
It is a Super Z 60" 25hp or 27hp Kawaski not sure but I'll get it tomorrow. I did a search here and it sounds like its a head gasket. Not sure what that will cost me but I know it sounds expensive.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing you want to do is remove the flywheel cover and with a couple of screw drivers under the flywheel see if you can rock it side to side, This will cause the top crank seal to blow oil out.

The top crank bearing/bushing which is cast in the block may be worn out, This would mean a new block or engine replacement.

I've had three in this month with this problem and here is a paste of a thread here on the front page now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5b7 View Post
I bought a used (780 hrs.) 61" Wright Sentar zero-turn end of last summer from a landscaper. I think that it is the 2nd generation because it has the oil cooler above the engine. Didn't get to use it then, and mowed 2X this summer before changing oil and filter.

The gasket above the flywheel starting leaking oil badly soon thereafter, then I had the mechanic previously employed by the landscaper for working on these mowers pick it up for servicing and adjusting steering. He informed me that a magnet was broken or dislodged from the flywheel and had to order a new flywheel, and that "everything else in the engine looked good". After he installed the new flywheel and reassembled motor, he called to say that the engine quit while he was running the mower and trying it out on a lawn; his prognosis is that the housing or crankcase into which the top sleeve or bearing of the motor is mounted is worn out and the motor will have to be replaced. I have not seen the engine since he called, since he lives in another county.
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
The first thing you want to do is remove the flywheel cover and with a couple of screw drivers under the flywheel see if you can rock it side to side, This will cause the top crank seal to blow oil out.

The top crank bearing/bushing which is cast in the block may be worn out, This would mean a new block or engine replacement.

I've had three in this month with this problem and here is a paste of a thread here on the front page now.
We had a guy bring a Kawasaki-powered Scag in, doing the exact same thing. Crank moving around inside the seal location on top. Block was shot. He had us just replace the entire engine. I think he only had about 1200hrs.
I will take a Kohler any day over a Kawasaki.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Motor

The model no is FH721V. Restrob if it is the top crank bearing/bushing what kind of money am I looking at to repair or replace?
Mowingman you said you will take a Kohler any day over a Kawasaki. I hear different. Maybe I should do a poll. Restrob what do you think about what Mowingman said. You been working on these for a long time so whats your expert opinion?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyownboss2005 View Post
Restrob what do you think about what Mowingman said. You been working on these for a long time so whats your expert opinion?
Well.....Working for a dealer of all the engines listed in my sig line I really don't have one. I do, But I don't like posting it as the same in oil/filter and additive threads.

Everyone has their own experiences with everything, What may be good to one may be bad to another. I have posted in the past that a engine will only last so long, So proper maintenance is the KEY to getting the most life out of one.

The only thing I will say is Kohler has put a sour taste in my mouth from having to replace sooo many blown head gaskets, I stopped counting at 28 engines and couldn't take a guess at the actual count.

You may measure your crankshaft size/length and check here; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/

Or here; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=197854

Good Luck
Quote:
Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I know where you are coming from

Quote:
Everyone has their own experiences with everything, What may be good to one may be bad to another. I have posted in the past that a engine will only last so long, So proper maintenance is the KEY to getting the most life out of one.

The only thing I will say is Kohler has put a sour taste in my mouth from having to replace sooo many blown head gaskets, I stopped counting at 28 engines and couldn't take a guess at the actual count.

That is a pretty tough question to ask. You could probably ask 50 different mechanics and get numerous of different answers. I think I might just stick with the Kawaski. Now I just have to find a mechanic. Thanks for the links